Skip to content

BTCA professional or not

edited May 2013 in General
I have'nt had a lot of dealings with members of the club, but the one's I've had have been awful. very unprofessional, very stuck on themselfs and the way anybody else does anything is wrong. To me this is wrong, be a professional never talk down to anyone or think your better. there is a saying"opinions are like a-holes everyone has one and they all stink' I hope that peop[le call me they walk away feeling better or enjoyed our conversations.
"Blitzkrieg Bullies" - Alexander, AR

Comments

• I have a few friends of the club. The friends I have in the club are very knowledgeable and friendly. Most of those people are big on showing, so if you don't show your not really doing enough in their opinion.
  • I dont think that showing a dog has anything to do with how they present themselves, if they want to show then so be it. but it's not for everyone. that shouldnt make the into snobbish a-holes.
  • Not all of them are like that though...
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I could write a book on my feelings towards "Clubs" to include the BTCA. Regardless of my views, any person with a tad of intelligence already realizes knowledge and experience doesn't mysteriously occur when your name shows up on a club roster. Experience, knowledge, and reputation is something that's gained through authentic merit.

All my life I've enjoyed the hobby of restoring cars. In my youth I used to be a part of a big car club and enjoyed showing my cars. I'm no longer with that club but I sure hope this doesn't mean my abilities to restore cars has been jeopardized. LMAO.

Clubs are great for those that like to surround themselves with others that share the same passion. However, if many of the members of a particular club are people that are unprofessional, nasty, or truly aren't nice people than this would be a club I'd want nothing to do with.

There are many health concerns (genetics) that may be overlooked by those involved with BT clubs. For years there have been many rumors adrift about liver problems being bred through (undisclosed) bloodlines that may very well be a part of some popular clubs. Could this be why many prestigious champions have deceased at early ages? Are these clubs still breeding for structure despite health and temperament problems? I'll say no more. :)>-

There are actually a few members of this forum that have purchased through Club breeders. Below is a article I wrote a while back that always causes controversy with club breeders because almost every one of them doesn't follow these basic philosophies that every consumer wishes to see within every breeder.

http://bulliesofnc.com/finding-reputable-bull-terrier-breeder

You don't need to be in any "Club" to be well respected for breeding, showing, or simply loving the Bull Terrier breed.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Agreed
    The BTCA has an onslot of members so yes it's safe to say that not all are bad people. Many of the breeders may feel if you're not a part of their club than you aren't a quality breeder. Let's face it there are many clubs with this kind of mentality. Many car clubs, hunting clubs, sports clubs, etc all think they are the best and enjoying boosting to others.

The fact is, currently there are 109 Bull Terrier breeders listed on their breeder referral page. These breeders simply got a referral by 3 of their friends and paid their dues to see their name on the club roster. Actually, the referral thing is somewhat new. 2 years ago you just needed to give them their dues and on the list you went. Their main concentration is on showing. Enter your dog in a show and all of a sudden you become a prime candidate to become a club member. Nobody is going to check up on their breeding dogs and visit their facilities. Trent -  the breeder you are referring to is in Canada and if you look up their name or kennel name nothing is found.

109 Breeders within the BTCA. Wow, that's a lot and the list is growing every week. Most are hobby breeders that own no more than 3 Bull Terriers. These are usually the ones that tell you they only own 3 dogs but fail to let you know they have multiple co-owned dogs they have sold and collect fee's on during their future litters, stud service, etc. It can be a big monopoly.

Many individual states have their own BT Clubs. Some are affiliated with the BTCA and some aren't. In all reality if you wanted to initiate a BT Club in your area you could easily do so.

Club or no Club, you'd think people that share the same passion for the breed would all get along, act profession, and try not to bash one another. I think the animosity often comes from people who openly criticize or condemn without proper merit. Others have little patience to entertain new owners to the breed who choose to run their mouth as though they are a subject matter expert when they are still learning the breed themselves. I've heard about other breed clubs that are a lot worse so it's obvious the mentality, politics, and animosity is popular within many clubs.

One thing is for sure, if you are breeding and raising dogs with love, passion, and professionalism you will gain a good reputation no matter what. Unfortunately your popularity may upset other breeders who may not be getting the same attention with the litters they are selling. I don't think this kind of animosity will change but I'm a firm beleiver that more and more people are conducting thorough research when purchasing a puppy and not settling for just any breeder. Popularity will obviously go to those breeders that gain the most attraction based on their reputation, knowledge, experience, and quality of dogs they are raising and breeding.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Im like Zerlett and have a few good freinds who are club members-However, when i was directed to the BTCA to search for a dog for showing, i  contacted quite litterly EVERY member on that list and i had maybe 4 people try pointing me to breeders- the rest flat out snubbed me.

Though, we cannot blame the club itself,we must blame those breeders who are so rude and snobbish and appreciate the ones who are open, helpful and kind.

You're absolutely correct Kim. I have nothing against the club at all and I realize the intentions are good. It's just sad there are many breeders within the club that think they are supposed to be in some kind of competition with all other breeders and feel the need to look for fault within other breeders in attempt to make themselves look better as a breeder. It seems to be a cancer that plaques many club members (not all) but enough to create an atmosphere that many don't wish to entertain. I've known a couple good friends that were once members of this club that drifted away from them due to the politics and animosity along with the fact there were an abundance breeding a known bloodline that possessed genetic fault. Specifically liver and kidney. One of the customers who bought one of our puppies shares the same Vet as member of this club and it's apparent this genetic fault is still plaguing their dogs according to their Vet. I find it sad that they are hiding this little secret and remain breeding this fault simply because they like the way the dogs look in regard to structure. I've heard about it from numerous others some of which had no reason to lie. For years I've just considered it rumors but I'm not so sure anymore.

What I find surprising is the influx of people that have contacted me and told me about the rude and unprofessional communications they've had with particular breeders. Often I hear about the same ones. They also tell me some of the things they've said about us when they know nothing about us other than what they see from our website. Truly pathetic. Funny thing is they don't even realize people see right through them.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com