Skip to content

Agressive towards our Jack Russell

We have had our bullie for 8 months, he is neutered and is very loving however, in the past two weeks has become very aggressive towards our 11 year old Jack Russell.  We have fallen in love with our bullie but are very fearful he will kill our jack as he has now drawn blood.  Any suggestions?  We fear we will have to find another home and it is breaking my heart.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited May 2013
    I'm assuming you've raised your Bullie with your JR since he was a young puppy. It isn't that common that I hear about a puppy that was raised with another dog and they suddenly get aggressive with each other. However, your Bullie is coming to the age where he may no longer wish to be submissive to your Jack who has always been the alpha. It's apparent the rolls are changing and it may be causing some conflict especially if your JR isn't wishing to except the fact that your BT is the new alpha of the house.

It's at this time you need to let them both know that it's you who rules the house and aggression and negative behavior is unacceptable. You're going to have to be very strict with your Bullie and discipline him in a manner where he knows his actions were wrong and there was a hefty price to pay for his display of aggression towards your Jack or any other dog.

There are a few other subjects on this forum that are very familiar with your situation. Recommendations were the use a training (shock) collar, professional training classes, and your own actions to instill proper discipline in your BT so he learns you wont tolerate his behavior.

Your Bullie is still young, leaving his puppy stage, and become an adult. Often Bullies can learn bad temperament habits at his stage and if they're left getting away with these negative character flaws the problem can escalate. Now is the time to really get angry with him and let him know it will never be accepted. You can change his evil ways and I'm confident he's only going through a stage that will pass if he's taught correctly.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Harley in a situation like this I don't really believe you can get all you need just over a forum alone. You may want to really look into some professional training classes from a good trainer. You need to make sure that both dogs listen and respect you, and that the JRT isn't instigating this with your bull terrier or vice versa.

Don't feed them together
    Don't allow toys out together if it's contributing to fights
    Don't leave bones or any high value item out together

Practice NILF training....means "nothing in life is free" to regain control in your house hold. If both dogs know you are in control, they will not fight with one another. Don't hesitate to go get help from a trainer if you need it!

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
  • The problem is that the dogs have to be separated because it always happens so fast and we are not close by.  The Jack Russel is very small and if we cant get to him quickly the BT will kill him.  He has already drawn blood.

We have been good stewards as far as showing are dogs that we are the alpha.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    It's a difficult situation to say the least. I'd have to agree with Danielle (Zerlett) by saying he may require professional training. He really needs to be better socialized with other dogs and with other forms of training he can get the opportunity to interact with several other dogs. This may very well do him a lot of good especially now while he's maturing.
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Get a basket style muzzle, you can buy one at petco called 'baskerville' muzzle. These muzzles are designed for long term use, they can still drink water with it on. That way when they get into it you can take the bull terrier and pin him to the floor until he calms down. Than you should let him up on a leash or pinch collar and correct him when he keens in on the JRT or tries it again.

Who is starting these fights?

Separating the two dogs resolves nothing. It just makes them think when they see each other again they have unfinished business. They need to be forced to live side by side and resolve the issues right than and there.
  • The BT starts it but we cannot seem to determine why.  The JT is 11 and a very low keyed dog at this point in his life.  So there is absolutely no way he can bite with this muzzle on?
  • Absolutely no way he can bit him with this muzzle on. But you have to get the right kind of muzzle called baskerville

http://www.petedge.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=57480&cm_mmc=Shopping-_-ShopzillaShop-_-CollarLeadsHarnessesTraining-_-ZA5641217

fitted correctly and tight behind the ears attached to the middle of the head and to the collar he will not be able to take the muzzle off. Petco sells them. Take him with you to find a proper fit, he probably needs a size 6. When you put the muzzle on him take him some where where the JRT is not at, put the muzzle on your dog and wait for him to try to take it off. If he is successful with taking it off, it's not fitted tight enough. Put it back on and adjust it until he can't take it off. Get him accustomed to wearing it and it might be something he wears long term while you work on his issues but it will secure that your JRT wont be hurt. He is going to fight the muzzle and want it off and he may just go and go and go with trying to take it off, be persistent that he needs to wear it and eventually he will get used to it.
  • I have two Bullies and two Jack Russell's in the house. We encountered this also. I found that the the Bullie is very territorial towards his personal belongings such as a bed,toys, blankets,or bowls. We had to put these away when not in use. The bullie is trying to establish dominence, but the jack dont want any part of this. I wouldnt muzzle him, I would get you a boom stick or stun baton. Believe me they wont mess around with this in your hand. the sound alone should get there attention. If you have to use it once they will never forget.
    "Blitzkrieg Bullies" - Alexander, AR