Skip to content

Practice for Showing a Bull Terrier

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
edited May 2013 in Forum Member Photos
It's amazing the difference between showing a dog in America compared to showing a dog in other countries where the competition and training are a lot more strict. For those that have been to many AKC shows here in the states you've probably seen a few wild dogs out there on stage pulling hard at the leash and having little to no training in regard to walking the ring. This isn't the case in other areas where this type of behavior would be shunned by the judges simply due to inadequate training and obedience within the specific dog. I've learned that many judges elsewhere pay close attention to the lead around the dogs neck to see how taut it gets while the handler shows the dog. In the event the lead tightens up where the dog requires guidance and/or restraint from the handler it's a fault within the movement and overall show appearance for the dog. The judges actually focus their attention on the everything about the dog to include his or hers training, obedience, and intelligence in the ring while under the eyes of an abundance of on lookers and other dogs. Structure and conformation come into play once the dog is stationary in front of the judge.

I have to commend Magdelina from Hexeside Kennels in Poland for the job she did with our dog Nitro in regard to proper and professional showing abilities. It's no wonder he picked up Jr Ch in 7 months and was finished as a champion within 18 months. Here's a quick video of Nitro during a practice run before his competition that completed him to champion with best of breed. (18 months old).

- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• It's strange how in other bull terrier shows in other parts of the country its totally acceptable to have a dog lunging, barking, and pulling with everything it has in a show, like in Europe. But in the USA a more well behaved dog is more likely to win in a show over a more wild dog, despite looks!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Must be where you're at because they're very lenient with non-trained dogs here. Seems as though they pay more attention to the dog when he or she is stopped right there in front of them.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Im quite proud of how far Chimera is advancing in her training, she has stopped trying to sit, follows me and pays close attention about 90% (still has a bit to go)

and about 2 weeks ago had a big problem letting people lift her lips-she wasnt aggressive, just pulled her head away, now sheh as NO problems with that at all, a few days ago we took her to an auto parts store where they have 2 goldens running freely around the shop, Chimera had never been their before, she TOTALLY ignored the dogs sniffing her face while focusing on me, and let one of the workers lift her lips to look at her teeth! Im so proud!

• great job Kimberly!!! Soon she will be ready for her first show!!