Skip to content

Crusty paws

Our bullie has a real problem with his paws. The pads are crusty and have bristly bits of fur sprouting between them. The pads have spread so his toes are splayed. He now seems to find walking uncomfortable. He's happy enough otherwise. The vet can't help. She says it's a common problem with the breed. Can anyone suggest a solution please?

Comments

• Somebody put a comment on a Facebook post about a fungal infection they can be prone to which may be worth considering
  • If it is I wonder if human athlete foot cream would work it's anti fungal and anti bacterial
  • Have you tried epson salt soaks

I don't know if it will helpbut it it is my cure-all for foot issues

God bless your pup and I hope it helps
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Can you post a photo or two?
    I'm not sure why your Vet told you that it's a common problem with the breed because it's not. I'm confident the breed is not commonly seen by your Vet too. Saddening to hear your Bull Terrier has an issue that your Vet has failed to treat. I encourage you to find an alternate Vet.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I know this is an old post, but I thought I would comment in case anyone stumbles here looking for help. My 7 year old bull terrier had this issue and now I am seeing it in my 7 month old puppy too! I have been lead to believe it is hyperkeratosis. I found that putting lotion on his paws twice a day along with a epson salt soak once a week helped the brittle hairs soften. Then, vet would cut them off or grind themoff with a nail trimmer.

• Moscow seems to have hyperkeratosis too, some people tried to tell me it was the genetic LAD but those people are also against breeding and were displeased we purchased him.
    I use coconut oil on his feetsies as well as epsom salt soaks. Got him booties to wear when we walk from now on as well, found the most padded ones I could! I trim his on my own but most vets/groomers will know about this issue! And yes they are trimmed/ground down! Thanks @ZekeAndIzzy for bringing this back up! Kinda happy to know I'm not the only one!