Skip to content

Ears and medicine

So a couple of days ago Mackenzie decided she was no longer going to allow me to clean her ears which is a problem because they get really dirty. She will now run as soon as she sees the cotton balls and if I do catch her she will try to nip at me. The funny thing is she will let me touch her ears all day long if I don't have a cotton ball or medicine . How am I going to get her past this ?? any suggestions ...

Comments

• edited September 2017
    There's a chance that there's a reason for the sudden change, such as pain in her ear or maybe you've unintentionally hurt her before during cleaning without noticing it (too deep maybe).

But I've also seen my fair share of "sudden" or smooth changes with body care. We've been working a long time when Djammy was little because she did not like anything of it.
    Once we got to the point - through patience, clicker and rewards - handling and body care became acceptable for her, I think I got lazy and just believed that we now have "solved" the problem once and for all. But let me tell you, we did not.

I still need to be patient and create the right situation, involving enough time - never do it in a rush - treats and stroking, praise ... the whole thing. She will then tolerate it. But she seems to never have lost the last bit of fear she seemingly connects with body care and handling.
    Well, that's just fine for me. I know what I am dealing with and what to avoid. And if she starts protesting I know what I am doing wrong and we can get back on the same page.
    Others would maybe tell you that a dog has to accept handling without resistance, no matter what. I've read such statements in other discussions. I understand the point and agree with the general handling opinion, especially for emergencies. But I disagree with the "HOW", I guess, because my dog is allowed to express how she feels during the process and my effort is to make it as comfy and easy as possible for her.
    But that's just me. Everyone is different. I don't mean to say that what others think is wrong. There's just different ways to approach such issues.

I've also had my fair share of experience with the "just suprise her and get it over with as soon as possible for the sake of everyone" strategy.
    For me and my dogs this has not worked out. One dog of mine just fainted one day - I first thought something way worse had happened and was frightened to death - when I tried to clip her nails real quick to make it short for everyone. Djammy is less sensitive. She will not faint, but resist. But the reason is the same - fear. That's why today I try to deal with the fear and if it takes time, that's how it has to be.

This is just a little string of my own experience, not really advice. Maybe you will find some advice in it. I keep my fingers crossed. There's a solution to every problem.

• @Djammy I so agree! It was a stressful week trying to figure out how to get past this but I think I am on the right track. My first try was with a hot dog ,a little ear cleaning a little hot dog and that went ok but not great. She is very food motivated and I did think that possibly I was hurting her by going to deep so I got smaller cotton balls ,prepped everything and then Fed her breakfast ... and that's when I cleaned her ears and it went great. My plan is to try and do this once a week we will see how it goes.
  • King_the_btKing_the_bt Brownsville, TX
    I have a pup and although he is only 6 months he’s pretty big. I’m have trouble with his ears. One ear is always dirty. The other never seems to get dirty at all. And that same ear (the dirty one) won’t stand up on its own like the other. We have started to tape it but it won’t stay for longer then a day. So my question is why does it get so dirty, and why won’t it stay up???
    DBE24842-36C1-4FFB-B2D9-DA87E49BED78.jpeg
    1126 x 2002 - 297K
    3903490E-1A47-47DF-B64A-DFB486A4C534.jpeg
    3024 x 4032 - 3M
    F8258BE9-0556-40B6-AE3D-6F0F49EDEB75.jpeg
    1920 x 1080 - 281K
    201EDF2A-B54A-4F0A-A4E8-D2474B38022B.jpeg
    3024 x 4032 - 1M
  • King

He might have a slight infection in it and when my dogs drop an ear it’s the first thing I look for as in dirty ear or slight infection

Clean the ear and get some ear drops (I’ll check what I’m using when I get home)

Treat for a few days and it will go away

Some ears are prone to this on my guy it’s always the left
  • Mometamax is what I use fir ear infections
  • With mine its always on the right . We clean her ears every week and always keep medicine in the house.
  • King_the_btKing_the_bt Brownsville, TX
    Great thanks! He has a vet appointment next week so I’ll be asking the vet what drops to use if he needs them.