Skip to content

How to prep for an absence?

Hi there! I am owner to Sassafras who I have posted about a few times over the past cpl months. We are all blending so greatly with each other and things are going so well! My question for all you is how to prepare her for a short 2 day absence? My husband and I have our anniversary in June and would love a.much needed 2 day getaway. Sassafras would be staying with my parents, whom she adores as well, along with my 2 children who she adores as well. My parents are over very often playing with her and we go.over their house frequently to play on their acres of property. She loves being there and has no problem eating or pottying while there.
So last week we took Sassafras along with my children to my parents house while my husband and I went out for dinner. My mom said she pretty much hid under the bar counter the whole time. She would not eat or drink. She did go outside but would not potty or play. My children tried to love up on her (supervised of course) but she would not budge from her hiding spot. We were only gone maybe 4 hrs. As soon as we came back she bounced right back to her normal playful sassy self. I know she is fond of my parents and I know she likes being there. How can I help her be comfortable there when I am not with her? I would love any tips/suggestions /ideas. Thank you!

Comments

• Dogs are funny sometimes

It sounds like you have an excellent place to have your pup taken care of

Try this

When people try to over compensate when a dog is acting shy so,etimes the dog can even take it as some type of praise or reward

Just have them act normal

Give her space and let her sort it out

She will calm down and come around

Don't force her to eat she will when she's hungry

You are only going for a couple days don't worry and have fun
  • Btw

Bring a favorite toy and bedding
  • Thanks! I will try those things. I just worry because I have heard of dogs stressing out from being left and biting themselves sore or losing hair or something. Just want to make sure she is happy, but I guess after some time she will figure it out. Thanks again!