Skip to content

Here we go again...UTI

And another issue has arrisen...This morning Ella was fussing so I got up to let her out. I noticed she was in a "hurry" to get to the door, which she never is.
A couple hours later I let her out again and I noticed blood in her urine. She attempted to urinate several more times.
Hence the self diagnosis of UTI.
She was just on antibiotics in January for the tail chewing so I really don't want to put her on medication again. Preferably a natural holistic approach with this particular issue.
I have added organic apple cider vinegar to her water to start with.
Anyone with experience on natural home remedies?
Thank you in advance.
BTW- She had her first cycle January 3-23 with no issues.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I could be completely wrong but based on your Bull Terrier developing OCD with tail chewing and now having a UTI it sounds to me like she is being crated too long. Both of these ailments are most often caused from not going outside enough and being subjected to a crate for extended periods of time.

My advice would be to allow her frequent bathroom breaks so she isn't holding in the urine in her bladder. I know you don't want to put her on meds again but it may be the best choice to prevent a bad infection and prolonged health issues.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • She goes to her crate between 11:00pm and 12:00am to 7:00am.
    Back in 3-4 days a week @ 9:30am till 12:30 or 1:00pm.
    We walk most every day. If no walk we have a big yard and she loves to fetch the ball.
    The only time she ever messed with her tail was early morning before I got up. 
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Although I assume the hours were used gently they still tally too many hours of crate time.
    11 pm - 7 am = 8 hours
    9:30 am - 1:00 pm = 3.5 hours. (If these are your work hours I assume she is actually in the crate longer)
    = 11.5+ hours sitting in a small crate.

My advice would be to provide her more activity. Maybe allow her to visit a doggie day care when you are at work since it's only for a few hours 2-4 days a week. This would do her a lot of good.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you for your input.

I still think it's better to have her in her kennel for a few hours than be outside in the cold,rain,snow or heat. Especially with skin/allergy issues.
    Also...We do not have a daycare option in our area.
    I am self employed and those are not my "work hours"
    She seems to be happy and is a very good, very spoiled pup. We have no behavior issues with her.
  • Miss Ella, voluntarily hanging out in her kennel.
    She's not in trouble or being ignored.

IMG_20170209_222221612.jpg
    2432 x 4320 - 2M