Skip to content

Just a matter of time

The inevitable has happened. We've started talking about getting our 1 year-old mini a brother. Who knew we would fall head-over-heels in love with this crazy breed and never want any other! Our Violet is perfect. She's our first bully, but in hindsight, I wouldn't use the same breeder again. With that said, our next one will be my husbands choice. (Violet was my baby) and he (me too) would like a Standard. I have so many questions about adding to our brood...isn't it best not to get another female? Is there a good age to introduce a new puppy? We think Violet is kinda lonely... we lost our Westie that she grew up with recently:(
We're definately not in a hurry, and have a good idea of the qualities we're looking for this time around, so I guess my question is, where to begin???
Thanks to anyone that is willing to tackle this post!!!

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    It's always best that if you are adding another dog to your family to go with the opposite sex. However, much of the success with raising dogs depends on two things - (1) Proper genetics from Sire and Dam that possess a reputation for sound temperament and health (2) How the puppy is raised and trained by the owner.

While in your pursuit for another Bullie I encourage you to read the following article I wrote a few years back

http://bulliesofnc.com/finding-reputable-bull-terrier-breeder/

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Oh, absolutely! We're just Beginning to think about it. I'm not in a hurry! Thank you. This may be selfish, but I don't want my girl to love a
    Sibling more than me. Do you find that happens with more than one?
  • edited November 2016
    Even without ever having owned more than one of them at the same time in one household, judging by their temperament I am 100% sure that a Bull Terrier will hardly ever ONLY focus on a second dog of any breed, even another Bull Terrier, in the house - if I got it right that this is what you are afraid of.
    They are such people-dogs and LOVE getting the attention of humans that I would rather bet on a Bull Terrier taking full advantage of having BOTH - human AND another dog's attention rather than just focussing on the animal companion alone.

After an initial phase during which the new pal may get the majority of attention - like you said: It will probably only be a matter of time. :)

It may be a little different in very large groups of dogs, especially when they live together outside in their own kennel and territory.

But in the average home with two or three dogs, I wouldn't see any reason to worry about not being recognized by my Bull Terrier.
    I'd be much more worried about the dogs getting along with each other.
  • choobachooba Michigan / Missouri
    edited November 2016
    Brought a second male EBT puppy into my home last may.
    They are polar opposites as far as personality goes. Chooba's laid-back, 65 pound's of solid muscular lap dog. Boomers 50 lbs of nimble rabbit, and all about Boomer, and blowin stuff up.

The only real conflict I have is competition for my attention, and rough bully play in the house.
  • Sorry to jump on thread bit my question is similar in nature. 
    I have a friend who wants two bullies,  currently doesn't own a dog.  He wants to know if best to get together as litter mates or to get one now and bring in a pup some time later,  if the second option what age is best? 
  • Hi,
    We recently acquired a 6 month old boxer, female, submissive nature, to keep our 7 month old male bully "Nev" company.
    Big mistake!!!
    We had the boxer for 3 days but Nev was stressing out too much.
    There's quite a lot that i wanted to say, but i'm having trouble posting any more than a couple of paragraphs.

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 12.08.24 PM.png
    471 x 260 - 215K
  • choobachooba Michigan / Missouri
    I had Chooba for 2 years before getting Boomer.
    They're like kids. Only child, center of the universe for 2 years, then boom, literally.
    It takes time and effort, and like kids, arguments, jealousy, pouting ect are going to happen for years.
    My situation is not the best due to different personalities, and both being male, but you make it work.
    They play together, sleep together, eat together, and generally love each other, but again, you will always hit a snag here or there.

You just have to ask yourself, do the benefits out weigh the drawbacks.
    In my case, yes. I am at work all day, and where as Chooba went to daycare everyday for his first 1.5 years, it is no longer an option as I moved. So I had to get him company.

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    In many cases it's much easier introducing a young puppy than it is another mature adult dog. Jealousy and dominance can become a quick problem with many breeds of dogs including the Bull Terrier.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks you guys. Neil, I'd love to hear more of that story. We would definitely  get a male puppy. When she's been around puppies before, she's soooo gentle! It's very cute to watch! And when we got her, we already had our Westie, so she's used to another dog being in the house. I just have normal worries, like, do I feed them in different areas of the house? Will they share toys? One sleeps with me...how's that gonna work? Time will tell, I guess. I'm also wondering if breeders that are recommended on the AKC site are safe? There's so many bad ones out there. 
  • If you don't mind a possible wait - because a lot of people are interested in his puppies - one of the most reputable breeders is right here: Just talk to Steve about your options, if you have not done that already.
  • Oh, I'd love one of Steves puppies! This time, there's a particular color and head shape we'd love. Not sure if we're being too picky or not. And I haven't asked him if he plans on or even has what we're looking for. He would be our first choice. We're just beginning the process! And I trust Steve implicitly! :)
  • Ours just hit a year and we are the same absolutely love the breed and are in the begining stages of contemplating another one, but our little girl is such an attention hog and lap dog I am not sure how that would work with another dog in the house even if it was a puppy to start with.