Skip to content

Adding a Rescue Bully to Our Pack

Hi! We are thinking about rescuing a bull terrier that was displaced from Hurricane Matthew. We already have a 3 year old male bully, bred by bulliesofNC! He's neutered and is an absolute JOY. He is great with other dogs, he loves the park, goes to day care and has had many male and female dogs over to our house. He doesn't mind if they walk inside or play in the yard. He has been growled at, snapped at, humped, everything you can think of by other dogs and has not once shown an ounce of aggression, leashed or unleashed. The bully that we are looking at is a young (probably around a year old) female. She is said to be a sweetheart but unfortunately has some demodectic mange. Our boy has had some skin issues in the past, so I'm hoping that bringing in a dog with mange won't affect his health as well. I'm looking for any advice you may have on mange's contagiousness as well as any advice for introducing a new bully into our pack.

Thanks in advance!! 
11218718_10100681252566470_7131174110055913017_n.jpg
640 x 640 - 132K

Comments

• Awesome and god bless your kindness

• Hi
    Maybe useful for me to share feedback I have had as my 8 month old has same type of mange. 
    I was advised by two vets that it isn't contagious it is passed from mom to pup at birth or through feeding off her.  It is something that is managed but cannot be eradicated completely 
  • Thanks for the advice! We decided to adopt her! We pick her up next weekend. 
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Mites can be found on any dog but normally they cause no harm at all unless the dogs immune system is weak. We have rescued several Bull Terriers that had demodectic mange due to weak immune systems. The #1 thing that weakens any dog's immune system is stress so it's no mystery why so many rescue dogs have this issue.

Put her a good grain free diet, provide her with a supplement that will boost her immune system, and give her lots of exercise and attention and you will see her health improve VERY quickly.

Take your time introducing the two dogs. Limit the time and supervise at all times. If you crate your Bullie at night allow them to be by each other in separate crates during the night.

When I rescue a Bull Terrier the first thing I do is wash them thoroughly and get them Vet checked by my Vet. I then spend one on one time with the dog for so he or she can get comfortable with me and quickly learn to trust me completely. My attention is on giving the dog a stress free environment. On day two I will start exercising him. Each day I will progress with exercise while ensuring he is getting a great nutritional diet. Within a few days you'll see results in the health of the dog along with the character and personality of the dog.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com