Skip to content

How long should they be in season for please?

Hi Guys i wonder if you could help please. Dolly is in her 1st season but has been bleeding for almost 4 weeks, dont get me wrong its not excessive generally when she barks i see spots of it. The last 2 nights she has been ever so quiet not her normal self just feeling a bit sorry for herself. ( She has defionately not been near a male dog). At what point should i think of getting her checked out or is this normal. The last bully we had we had her done before her 1st season.

Thanking you in advance

dolly new.jpg
320 x 240 - 29K

Comments

• edited October 2016
    I don't think she should have been bleeding for that long.  I am thinking the bleeding should last more like around 10 days for a young dog.  I advise making an appointment with her vet. But I hope someone else chimes in because it's been a long time since I had to deal with dog in heat.
  • edited October 2016
    I've had 2 females my first had an abnormal season pattern a short one at 4 months and then a much longer one after she was over a year, the vet recommended she be spayed after that which we had no problem doing so. Our current female is in Season at 8 months and is now in week 3, her bleeding has more or less stopped but she's still a bit swollen and her nipples are still enlarged so she's maybe not quite at the end of her fertile cycle as it were. The other owners here will probably have more experience but I'm a great believer of 'if in doubt check it out.' Hope you get more helpful answers lol!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Here's a great article that @Djammy wrote awhile back that goes into detail on the heat cycle of a Bull Terrier.
    http://www.bullterrierfun.com/dog-heat-cycle/

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks for your advice everyone , she stopped on day 28 just has we had an appointment with the vets booked. She is less swollen now and back to her normal bully self