Skip to content

Dew claw

Arrow has started to play a lot of attention to her dew claw,  biting and licking  it.  I have looked at it and it doesn't seem damages or inflamed but it's like she can't leave alone last couple days. 
I've trimmed it and helped a little but still licking it etc.  I trimmed it after started and I've not cut too low,  no blood etc  and it's only front left leg
Any ideas why the close attention? 
In the UK  every boxer I previously had came dew claw off so I've never had experience of them..  Should I just monitor?  Oh and no limp or obvious injury to leg and doesn't mind me trimming it or touching it

Comments

• Not sure this will help lol but Layla refuses to leave hers alone never messes with any of her other claws and only her right dew claw. I even went as far as to have the vet check for splinters. It seems to just be an obsession, ever since she noticed it she's done the same as Arrow. Mind you that's been a good 7 months and it hasn't had any adverse effects.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    The dew claws on many breeds can be problematic for them. However, the Bull Terrier isn't among those breeds. Although I'm sure there may be some people who had the dew claws removed on their Bull Terrier for unknown reasons, it's normally something which isn't done with this breed.

If your Bullie is biting at his dew claw it's either because he injured it or the nail itself. Chances are it isn't something to be worried about or he'd be limping. However, if he continues licking it or showing signs of distress you could always have it looked at by a Vet.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com