Skip to content

Age for the drop :)

When I took Arrow in today or a skin consult, the vet looked him over as it was a new vet.
Arrow is 33lbs, 5 mths old tomorrow, the vet says he has 1 testicle in place and 1 in his belly, she was not concerned at the moment  and thinks he is still young and it will drop.
When should i be expecting it to drop?
also
My vet said that his skin issues will be helped by neutering him when he is ready to be as hormones could trigger his skin issues. When would people suggest neutering as Ive only had bitches before and the net seems to vary wildly from 5mths to 18 mths, my vet suggested 6 but that seems pretty young to me for what i would consider a big op.

Comments

• edited July 2016
    I am not a doctor. So, the following is only a non-expert's point of view.

Although possible, in my experience, skin issues in Bull Terriers are much more often related to problems originating in a weak immune system and guts - and often more likely triggered by malnutrition, allergens in the diet, environment, microorganisms and such, than they are hormone related.
    This is why it is SO important - just as Steve keeps repeating like a prayer, because it is so true - to support and strengthen the immune system. A strong immune system will be able to deal with A LOT of adverse environmental influences and imbalanced situations within the body. It can't work miracles, but an intact and strong immune system is indeed a capable fighter.

There's such a thing as puppy acne that CAN be hormone related. But that usually balances as soon as the puppy matures and the hormone situation settles.
    Hormone related skin issues usually show a little different effects on the skin than allergies, such as baldness, for example.
    As we have so many different dogs with skin issues in this forum, I currently don't really remember, if I have ever seen any photos of the skin issues your dog is suffering from - if it's baldness, bumps, blisters ... 

I know that many vets still today are quick to recommend neutering in oder to "solve or prevent" a number of problems.
    But I have to say I find it odd to even talk about neutering at such a young age already, when the development of the hormone definitely can't be completed.

I am sure your vet knows what he is doing. 
    But as dog owners today we should be aware that spaying and neutering can also CAUSE lots of problems. And therefore we should make a WELL INFORMED decision and in some cases even allow ourselves to decide against the recommendation of our vet OR at least seek a second opinion on very important decisions.

Here's a very informative video by Dr. Becker that has already been posted in this forum a number of times - about neutering:

I don't know what kind of evaluations your dog has already undergone due to the hormone issues. But if the hormone situation is really suspected to be the trigger, as this essay shows, there is a number of tests that should be performed to really make sure that the hormone situation is in fact the cause and that neutering can actually solve the problem.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_dg_hormone_responsive_dermatoses

I am not trying to question what your vet is telling you. The only thing I am trying to do is to encourage you to gather as much information about this issue as you can, BEFORE you make such an important decision for your dog, now that you still have enough time to do some research yourself.
  • thanks or the reply
    I agree it just doesnt seem right at an early age hence my question really being two fold as im more likely to get it done for the testes problem, if it is one. What is the normal age for them both to show, from experience?
  • edited July 2016
    The question about the testicle's dropping is one, someone else will need to answer, because I just don't have the experience.
    But I am sure that someone else will be able to answer that. Just give it a little while.
    As you are waiting, you may want to browse through this discussion of someone, who lately seemingly experienced a similar problem:
    http://www.bulliesofnc.com/BTforum/discussion/comment/24237/

Maybe there's some more info for you already in it.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Both testicles "should" be descended at least by 8 weeks old. Normally during a puppies health tests at 6 weeks old Vets will palpitate the male puppies to ensure both testicles are where they should be. It's rare for a male puppy to have one or both testicles which have not dropped into the scrotum by the time they are 8 weeks unless they are have Cryptorchidism. However, I have heard about others who had a Bull Terrier with an undescended testicle at 8 weeks old that after a couple more weeks the testicle did in fact drop into the scrotum. Unfortunately at 5 months old if your bull terrier does not have both his testicles in the scrotum by now chances are he has been diagnosed by your vet with Cryptorchidism which leaves very slim chances of the testicle ever falling into proper location. Most Vets will recommend any dog with Cryptorchidism to be neutered due to the health concerns of the testicle being in a location which can cause problems in the future. Hopefully your breeder advised you of your puppy's health concern at 8 weeks old prior to his sale and sold him appropriately as Pet Quality due to a genetic disorder which prevents him from showing or breeding as well as the high possibilities of future surgery involved with a more complex and costly neutering procedure due to Cryptorchidism.

Additionally, if your Vet has made the determination that the undescended testicle is located in the belly and not even close to dropping into the scrotum I'm very shocked they are providing you with hope that the testicle will mysteriously drop in place any day now. Most Vets would be upfront and tell you the chances are far greater that this isn't going to happen. I also question why your Vet recommends the removal of his sex organs via neutering prior to him reaching full maturity. If I were you I would look into getting a second opinion from another Vet. Your Vet should have conducted an x-ray by now to confirm the exact location of the testicle, confirm whether or not he is Cryptorchidism, and prepare you for the need for future surgery to correct the problem via neutering. Explaining to you that the testicle is somewhere in the belly and crossing their fingers in hopes the testicle will one day drop is not the common approach  to this health issue.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/reproductive/c_multi_cryptorchidism

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks for the reply steve

I would Only consider the removal on health grounds. The problem I have is that in Thailand vets do not earn big money so it is more done for the passion for animals rather than financial reward which results in a lower standard of knowledge and resources if that makes sense,  so I would always look at other vets and sources before I do anything
    On the age thing...  I am Not questioning your experience just interested to know why lots of pages on the net,  which I know isn't always reliable,  suggest they can drop up to 18 months etc... 
    I had a boxer with a undecended testicle and it was removed from belly on advice from a UK vet at the time...  As you mention only doing it for health reason which I agree with BTW, is it not always the right thing to neuter if it doesn't appear? 
    I'm also not convinced neutering him will help his skin issues due to lower hormones 
    Again thanks for help..