Skip to content

Breeding nana

My friend approached me about breeding my mini nana, american bull terrier, nana is 5 years old and buddie (the pitty) is about 2 and pretty big.. Since she's so tiny I'm wondering if it would be safe to do? I'm planning on getting her fixed but since my friend asked and I think they would have adorable puppies I'd like to know if it's a good idea or not!

Comments

• With an American pitbull terrier* oops
  • edited July 2016
    The following is just my opinion and not meant as any kind of judgement of those who think or do otherwise. 
    I like pit bulls and believe that in the vast majority of cases their bad rep comes from terrible owners. My EBT plays with several pit bulls regularly. But some places have outlawed them and some insurance companies won't sell homeowners insurance to those that own them. Conversely, at least where I live, one can go to the animal shelter just about any time and get a pit bull or pit cross pup that is really, really cute. It may be different other places, as I am close to a reservation where the wild dogs outnumber the people.  Anyway, I cannot see breeding dogs for the sole reason that the pups will be adorable. Every puppy is simply adorable. There are so many unwanted cross breed dogs that I just can't see creating more on purpose. Heck, there are even tons of unwanted full bred dogs out there.
    It's my view that dog breeding should be left to those who really care about the breed and offer quality puppies on a small scale that it is not even remotely comparable to a puppy mill. There will always be those, like our members, who just have to have a certain breed of dog. But there will also always be irresponsible dog owners who allow accidents to happen, resulting in adoptable animals.
    If the pups are all wanted, that is a different story. But not at the risk of your girl's health. On that matter I really don't know, but the size difference doesn't sound like a good gamble to me. I know that EBTs have pretty big heads and so do pits. I have been witness to an EBT C-section because of it.

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    If you think the development of nonregistered crossbreds (Mutts) produced by backyard breeders without any thought process would lead into adorable puppies save yourself the efforts of breeding your dog because there are THOUSANDS of them currently all over the nation at pounds and shelters. Thousands of them are being euthanized each year because nobody wants them. To be honest, there are people breeding pure bred APBT's everyday and having difficulty giving them away due to the overwhelping population of a particular dog breed with is over bred and often tossed to the curb once they are no longer "adorable."

I'm SHOCKED you would even consider breeding the new Rescue Bull Terrier you received let alone even entertain the idea of breeding her to your friends Pit Bull. Why you you wish to produce puppies that would have a HIGH chance of becoming Rescues in the future or euthanized?

Please get your Bull Terrier Spayed at the earliest opportunity.

:-O  :-O  :-O  :-O  :-O               ~X(  ~X(  ~X(  ~X(  ~X(
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I agree, far too many bullies being left for dead. I talked to a few rescues and am looking into just adopting another. I live close to a reserve too, it's sad seeing so many run around free and starved. There really is no need to be sarcastic or in anyway aggressive @bbliesofnc. It was a question. I already decided it wasn't in my best interest but thanks for the kind feedback. I'm getting her spayed next week. Thanks for the feedback :)
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    That's great to hear.  :-bd

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com