Skip to content

Little guy won't poop outside

So I always take my little pup out at least once an hour and to pee he has no problem. The poop part we can't get down. I would keep him out and take him to the same spot every time hoping that would help. As soon as we go back in to my house I'll turn around and boom poop. Any tips on this? Oh and he also poops in his kennel as well

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Advice?

Give it time!!!!! :D

He will need some time to really realize the difference between "home (his territory)" and "outside".
    He will learn it eventually, because dogs are usually rather "clean" creatures and (if no behavioral disorders or illness are present) do not soil what they consider their closest territory or home.

But this is something they need to learn!
    And your little one is just SO young!

For some dogs it only takes a few weeks. Others need months. So, just keep up your schedule and be prepared so a while longer of cleaning.
    Maybe it's a good idea to get sensitive rugs and soft stuff out of the way for a while, just to prevent the loss of some items that are valuable to you.

You can try to use potty pads to limit the soiling to certain areas. But these also do not work reliably with every dog. That's trial and error.

Telling exactly why he is soiling his crate at this time is hard. Because it could either just bee too early (still the phase when they pee and poop wherever they walk or lie). It could be the case that he has not recognized the kennel as "his room" so far. It could be the case that he is crated for too long and not able to hold it long enough.
    That's something you need to observe yourself.

Once you catch him in the act (pooping inside), grab him and carry him outside to still make some kind of connection with going outside and pooping. Watch the times, maybe you recognize a pattern and that could help you already be outside when it starts.

Some people try to take some of the dog's poop and place it outside in the area where the dog is supposed to do it's business. And for some this seems to work. I've never tried it.

But, again, long story short: IT WILL TAKE TIME and patience. And you WILL have oopsies for a while.
    Try to make the potty training a good experience and if oopsies happen, try to grab the dog in the act and carry it outside to finish there (even if he's done already!).

Never punish or yell at the dog, if you don't want to enhance chances that he will start doing it in hidden places subsequently. Just neutrally clean up the mess, use GOOD odor killing cleaners - and move on.
    :D

Here's one I can really recommend:
    https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Miracle-Remover-Gallon-512504/dp/B00025K0L2
  • Hang on in there. My first Bully was house trained in no time at all but Harley Quinn has only just mastered it at 6 months. We still need to keep an eye on her as her cues for needing to go out sadly doesn't involve barking just a meaningful look cast over her shoulder in your direction as she walks to the door.
  • edited July 2016
    @Tirednemotional

Why not train her to use a potty bell, if you want her to indicate when she needs to go? :)
    Works like a charm for us.

• Ok great advice all. Thanks! Let's see how it goes! Thanks :)