Skip to content

Skin Issues

Arrow is 4 months old and is starting to devlop skin issues. They are red patches. He doesnt seem overly concerned and not a big scratcher. He has the usual BT sore elbows but is wont lie on a blanket or soft surface only the hard floor. Even in his crate he moves his blankets and lies directly on the plastic grid. I dont feel comfortable makig a permanent soft bottom yet as he is a pup and dont want to risk accidents. He loves his crate and doesnt have an issue with it.
I would describe his fur as thin, not bald but noticeable. He is white so you can see it. He occasionally gets spots too.
I took him to vet (they arent the best in Thailand) and she said it was a yeast infection and gave me cream and a spray to put on and specific shampoo which i started yesterday so not sure if working yet.

I wasnt aware but i aplied his previous puppy shampoo undiluted and direct to his fut, he advised against this and ive stopped. Wasnt an issue ever with my prev dogs (all boxers)

His diet is the following per day:
Amount 520g
minced meat (chicken or beef) 250g
Veg (changes but mainly Kale, brocolie, carret, cucumber, Pumpkin) 125g
Bone (chicken feet/carcass, maybe a wing) 125g
offal (pig liver/heart) 12.5g

all the above is RAW apart from the veg which i cook first and mush up. 
I throw in a minced egg shell everyother day (not the egg). he also has left over rice (no sauces) and occasional pigs tail.
I was told not to add supplements for a pup and i cant get Salmon oil so i give him tuna/salmon skin (cooked throughout)

He loves his food and is eating over three meals per day and as you can see from my previous messages he is growing and packing on muscle ad weight. He doesnt not seem bothered by skin.

Any suggestions on if i need to add or take anything away. I am English so will understand descriptions and knowledge but im in thailand so if suggesting anything can you tell me the item NOT the brand as i may have to get a local alternative.

On dry food......  I have intentionally not mixed or fed 100% dry food. Where i am i have the local Thai brands which from the ingredients are all wheat and dust or importet brands like pedigree (which my Boxers didnt do well with), Smartheart and Royal Canine. all of which im not overly keen on.

Comments

• edited June 2016
    His nutrition at first glance sounds fine to me. I can't identify huge amounts of yeast promoting ingredients and I think it's a good idea to skip the manufactured foods, if you can.
    Also keep staying away from grains and very high-starch veggies (yet don't entirely skip veggies, they're also good for the dog, and most of what you currently feed is low-starch).

This case shows again that yeast in many cases is not a solely nutrition-related problem. Nutrition can help or make it worse, but often other factors play a role, too.
    A huge factor is the immune system.
    There's a slight chance that your dog has a genetic predisposition for yeast overgrowth or a slightly compromised immune system by birth. You may want to reconsider your thoughts about supplements, if there are any good supplements available in Thailand. Enough essential minerals and vitamins are vital for a weakened immune system. And with yeast overgrowth present already its important to strengthen the immune system as good as possible.
    Heat and humidity - factors you may be dealing with in Thailand, I don't know - can also contribute.

We live in Florida and Djamila has basically been dealing with yeast overgrowth from the start.
    But so far I was able to prevent any real flare ups or other real problems (itch, excessive licking, inflammation) through the regimen I am following regarding her nutrition and body care.

If you would like to write down the ingredients of the things your vet gave you, maybe it would be possible to tell you, if you could use some of it on a regular basis - the shampoo for example - for prevention.
    What I like about the vet is that not oral antibiotics and oral steroids were the first things he pulled out. While helping at first, long-term they tend to add stress the immune system.

Long-term externally you could use a thin layer of virgin coconut oil for the spot (it also works as a mild sunscreen). Use it as often as needed. It softens the skin and has antimicrobial abilities.
    You can even feed a teaspoon a day as a supplement.

If you can get a hold of it, Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) WITH MOTHER (very important, because there sits the good stuff) is also worth a try for yeast, internally (1Tsp./ day) or externally (diluted 1:1 with water) as a rub. Note: ACV can sting a little in open sores.
    These are two natural things you can use long-term.

Make sure the bedding is always clean (wash once a week), even if he mainly uses the floor. :)

Bathing him is possible once a week or once every two weeks with mild shampoo formulated for dogs. Human formulas don't have the correct ph and can irritate the ph-balance on the dog's skin, possibly contributing to the skin issues.
    If you find a mild antimicrobial disinfectant (no alcohol), you can use that to wipe down the spots on occasion. Other than that try to keep them dry and clean (as well as skin folds).
    If your dog should start scratching a lot, you could use Epsom salt washes to naturally soothe the itch (careful, Epsom salt can sting in open sores).

Well, that's all that comes to my mind as "first aid" for now.
  • The cream she gave me doesnt have a packaging or ingredients. the spray is

what suppliment do you recommend, please let me know the ingredient rather than a brand again please :)

i give him left over rice from my dinner (no sauce) so should this be stopped, its not daily and not hyge quantities
    also on a side issue, is it ok he swims in fresh water resovoir, i woudlnt drink it but i went in it with him lol :)

thanks for your feedback
  • edited June 2016
    Supplements I can recommend are NUVET and NUPRO.
    It is hard to give only items in this case, because, as you look at the package information, you will find that both products contain blends of several ingredients including a whole variety of different minerals, vitamins and other healthy additions.
    It is hard to recommend a natural product as a substitute, because no ONE plant has it all.

Maybe you are able to find a product in Thailand with a similar composition.
    Some people feed kelp as a natural supplement. But as I already said, this algae product does not have it all and it is also a little controversial, because of it’s iodine and heavy metal content.

I would recommend dark berries (raspberry, blackberry, blueberry), because they are healthy and loaded with vitamins and minerals. But as other fruits they also have lots of sugars - again a source yeast likes to feast from. One reason to limit the amount of fruit in the diet in this case. Maybe there's some ratio "in the middle".
    I do feed my dog fruit. But then again, we do not seem the have the same heavy problems despite yeast overgrowth also being present in her body, as you guys are experiencing.

As yeast and the state of the immune system are usually closely connected to the state of the gut flora, probiotics can be another helpful add-on. Just be careful to NOT choose one with lots of PRE-biotics (difference!), because prebiotics in contradiction to probiotics are suspected to be able and even promote yeast growth. Probiotics on the other hand are known to balance the gut flora, aid digestion and help keep the gut  healthy and functional.
    Probiotics are usually available as powders. You can also feed plain yogurt with living cultures, if your dog tolerates dairy products. Only the yogurt is not as concentrated and therefore not as effective as a powder product or you would have to feed unreasonable amounts of the yogurt.

I would skip rice, potato, pasta and such things. Starches and sugars (carbohydrates in general) are yeast promoting ingredients and they all have it.

The product you’ve posted from your vet (conditioner) sounds good and can be used on a frequent basis. The only circumstance I would NOT use it in, is if you would suspect any kind of allergies in your dog, possibly triggered by grains. In that case oats would also be tabu, as food as well as externally.

WATER and swimming

If you don’t let your dog drink the water, I guess it’s ok unless there are parasites in the water that can enter the body through the skin. I don’t know about the waters in Thailand.
    But I would definitely only allow my dog drink human grade drinking water over there (I am doing the same here in Florida).
    Parasites can also weaken the body and interfere with a well functioning immune system. So, good parasite control and frequent de-worming is another very helpful measure in warm regions, known to have lots of parasites, to keep the dog healthy and support the immune system.
  • Djammy, Thanks for the feedback and taking the time to reply. There seems so many on the sites you provided. Am i looking for an Immune system booster rather than a specific ingredient. For example if a human needs Calcium we can take calcium rather than multi vitamins, hope that makes sense?

• Djammy,
    excuse my ignorance on the subject, is the virgin coconut oil something like this as this seems to be a cream, can it be given internally?

• edited June 2016
    I don't know, if I just got you wrong here.

But just in case that's not clear:
    The supplements consisting of several minerals and vitamins ARE immune system boosters and so are berries and kelp, because they also contain several different minerals and vitamins.
    In fact it is exactly the balanced ratio and the presence of ENOUGH of the essential minerals and vitamins that makes the item or supplement a boost for the immune system.

Besides the energy from good meats and veggies, the minerals and vitamins make sure that all processes in the body can work properly. This also concerns all processes of a well functioning immune system.

Normally I would just suggest NUVET or NUPRO, because they include everything necessary.
    I only tried to provide you with several different alternatives and suggested to look at the list of ingredients of the two supplements above to see if you find something similar where you live, because you said you live in Thailand and I do not know what you can get there.
  • ok i understand now thank you :)

and is the virgin coconut oil ok oraly

thank you so much
  • Yes, feeding one teaspoon a day is recommended for dog's of a Bull Terrier's size as a very healthy add-on.
  • Thank you so much for your feedback, I couldnt locate the brands recommended so I tried to closely match the ingredients. I purchased these and will start him tomorrow.
    Again thank you.

20160622_180315.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 3M
  • edited June 2016
    Happy for you that you found some products.

I can't really read everything. But both supplements seem to be formulated for pets, right? I read zinc and a red flag went on, because zinc in higher concentrations can be toxic to dogs. And it is contained in both products. As is Vitamin E. However, even dogs need zinc in small amounts. And the concentration combined in both products still sounds right.
    Vitamin E, although fat soluble and therefore possible to enrich in the body rather than being flushed out, is not known for toxicity in dogs. However, it can inhibit resorption of other vitamins when present in high concentrations and thus adversely affect the body, which is why certain daily levels should not be exceeded. But also the concentration of the vitamin E combined in both products still sounds right.

Of course, it all depends on the amount of pills the labels recommend to give daily for your dog's size!!!

And my information given here about zinc and vitamin E is only what I learned off the Internet myself.

So, if in doubt, please ask your vet about the recommended dosage!
    I am not a doctor.