Skip to content

Kennel Training

Hello everyone I am new to the forum. My family and I just got a 6 week old bull terrier and I have been reading about kennel training. So as of right now I gave him his meal and spoke nicely to him to get in his kennel. I have an option to make the kennel smaller since I bought one so he can grow into. He cries a lot in there so I let him cry it out and he finally fell asleep. How long do I wait for to get him out? When he gets up? Or is there a certain time frame I should keep a schedule to? Oh and a picture for you all to meet meeko
image.jpeg
2448 x 2448 - 2M

Comments

• edited June 2016
    Welcome to the forum. Such a cute button!

But just a question: 6 weeks is far too young to leave his mother and siblings.
    Where did you get him from at such a young age???
    I find it really concerning, reading so often about puppies being given away at under 8 weeks of age. Makes me sad.

Your question:
    I guess you are talking about an indoor kennel in your home, right?

My advice is to take it slow with the kennel training. A more gentle way to get the pup used to being in the kennel is to just lure him into the open kennel placing a treat in there. Let him walk in and out, not closing the door. Lots of praise and maybe one or two more treats as long as he's in there.
    Then after a few times of walking in and out close the door only for 1-2 minutes and stay there. Raise the bar a few more minutes every time you're training it and eventually try to walk away for a moment, leaving him alone in there.
    Try not to confine him until he cries, because reacting (= paying attention) to the whining and letting him out then could create bad habits.
    On the other hand, leaving him in there all alone until he stops the whining would feel kind of cruel to me especially at that young age, no offense ...

Allow the pup time to adjust until you leave him in the kennel for a longer time (30 minutes or so).
    This is his refuge he should always feel good and comfy in.

Ideally place the kennel in an area where he can watch the family, but that is also not too busy. SO he can find sleep, when he needs to.
    Leave the kennel at the largest size. It's good for the dog to have a lot of space. Just make it comfy by providing a lot of bedding. Bull Terriers love to snug themselves into cushions and blankets.
    During the first time watch your pup, if it starts to rip and tear the bedding and interrupt that. Praise and treat for NOT doing that until he gets it.
    If it is a cage style kennel, I would make sure to also provide a cave-like area as a refuge (blanket over part of the kennel or so).

Of course, you are not planning on leaving the dog alone for longer periods in the kennel already, right? Because the pup is too young for that and needs lots of attention, play and potty training throughout the day.

Hope my advice helps.
  • This is what I did for crate training when Birdie was a tiny pup like Meeko - but let me also say that I was able to stay home almost all the time. I bought a puppy playpen.  I removed the door from the crate and placed it in the playpen.  The crate was her bed and refuge and she willingly went in it.  The playpen was the horrid thing that confined her when I slept or had to run an errand.  By the time she outgrew the playpen she loved her crate and went in it on her own for naps and bedtime or when something startled her.  She has never had a problem when I started closing the door on her at night or when I left the house for short periods. She will go in when I tell her to without any fuss.

The playpen helped a lot with potty training too.  I divided the playpen into 2 sections with just a small opening between them.  To create this I used the crate and a cooler with some rocks in it to weigh it down. The smaller section was lined with newspaper and was her potty area if I didn't get to her in time.  The larger section had some old throw rugs on the floor, and her toys and food and water.  I was amazed at how quickly she went to the paper side if I didn't take her outside in time, usually at night.  For potty training I just started taking her out every hour, tons of praise (and treats at first) when she went and slowly started increasing the time between trips out.  I was lucky and she learned fast, and even taught herself to bark at the back door.  (But Birdie is a vocal little thing who has no problem telling me what she wants!)
  • edited June 2016
    @the4thmonkey

Great idea with the playpen! The entire construction with sections and potty newspapers reminds me a little of a giant hamster crate. But I guess the wheel was missing.
    :)) ;;)

Funny to hear about all those very vocal EBT's. Mine is vocal, too.
    So far I always thought they are all more on the quieter side. 
    :D
  • Erm mine is the biggest barking dog i have ever had. He never barks outside when walking though even though he walks past the exact same strays !
  • Djamila barks at us or people (neighbors we meet or visitors) to "tell them about her day" and to get attention. It really is a friendly bark, just like she were talking.

Sometimes in the evening she barks at home for self-entertainment "to kill some time" at strange noises, passing cars in front of the house or back at other dogs barking in the neighborhood.

In the dark she sometimes barks at noises (nothing I can really see or hear myself) in front of the house when we go potty. I consider that protective/ territorial behavior.
    So, most of the barking actually takes place in and around the house.

When we are on the road together she usually doesn't "bark" a word.  
    :))