Skip to content

Adoption

So very frustrated. Filled out an app and faxed in my landlord letter 2 weeks ago. Sent multi emails and facebook msg. Very little response. They are always on their facebk page begging for adopters and fosters but they dont get back to you. Anyone with similar experience?

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Who are you waiting for the response from, your landlord or the rescue group?

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • The rescue group. I filled out an online app over 2 weeks ago and started emailing them. No response. Finaly I got a response to a facebook msg telling me 2 of the dogs I was interested in were pending adoption. Then a 1yo male came in. Once again finaly got a respons via facebook telling me they thought he would be a good fit. They requested a letter from my landlord that I faxed to them within the hour. Got confirnation my app and letter was received and nothing sense. I have called, emailed, facebk msg asking if we were approved? Is the pup we were interested in still avail? Nothing!! So frustrated!!!
  • edited June 2016
    I understand your frustration.

Sometimes for a better understanding it is helpful to remember that rescue organizations are mostly operated by private volunteers (not professional business owners), who dedicate all of their spare time to the animals. These people often have a huge heart for the breed or the animals they are taking care of, but also they usually have a regular job, families etc. that also require their time and attention.

I don't even know which group you are talking about in particular and of course I agree that better communication would not only lessen the frustration on your part, but also help to put the dogs under new roofs. It may have other reasons, I am just guessing that in this case it may be the same situation in this group as in many other groups.

The Internet and especially Social Media are very fast paced communication platforms - ask Steve about it - creating an overwhelmingly huge amount of communication, questions and requests for some people, all requiring attention.
    In the past we tried to call people. When the line was busy all the time or nobody answered the phone, we knew the other party was busy. Today we write an e-mail and usually can’t take notice of the vast amount of requests and e-mails some people are facing, wondering why it takes some them so long to get back to us.

Bull Terriers - luckily - are a very popular breed and enjoy a huge fan base. At the same time they are not as widespread as other breeds, which I consider a good thing. Because that makes sure that rescues (even older ones) are often re-homed quickly. But the same circumstance often creates tons of requests and questions in preparation around every single adoption.

Btw. that was already the same in the past: When we tried to adopt our first Bull Terrier almost 20 years ago back in Germany, it took us several days, hundreds of miles of driving and it felt like we had seen a million dogs (not only Bull Terriers) during those few days.
    We visited several organizations throughout Germany trying to find our match. But every dog we decided for miraculously wasn’t available anymore once we wanted to start signing papers … already adopted, adoption pending, to sick for adoption, foster family keeping it … it was - frustrating.
    Eventually we found our Bull Terrier after that journey. She was THE PERFECT match and SO WORTH the wait.

Hang in there! They are not only challenging once we have them … sometimes they are even before. :)
    Bull Terriers are a blessing we need to work for patiently. :)
    Keeping my fingers crossed for things to work our for you.
  • Thank you so much for your reply. It's funny that the rescues that respond immediately are to far away and wont adopt/allow transport to Washington. The current rescue I'm trying to adopt through is a 14 mile car ride. We are so willing to drive that and more if needed. Mean time we will patiently wait our turn.
    I wish I could stick up for the Rescue Group you are dealing with and say they are getting an overwhelming of inquiries on their Bull Terriers available for adoption but I know this isn't the case. Unfortunately many people today lack any sort of sense of urgency when it comes to proper communications. I'm confident they are receiving your emails and facebook messages. They probably pop up on their cell phones too. Send them a private message through Facebook. At least you'll be able to see when they read your message and how long it takes for them to respond after reading it. They may in fact be ignoring your messages while they are waiting for someone else to complete the adoption so they can respond with "Sorry, this Bull Terrier has already been adopted."

If they are only 14 Miles away as you mentioned, why not just go visit them in person? Go meet with the Bull Terrier that is up for adoption. 14 miles away is so close and only minutes away.

What's the name of this Rescue Group? I may know the people and can reach out to them for you.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • They are actualy 14hours away. Im in Washington and their in California but we are willing to make that drive. Since my last post they finaly have all my paperwork. Was sup to do phone interview last weekend that never happened. Got an email Monday saying the woman working on my stuff is out all week and will try and call next weekend. At this point we dont have our heart set on 1 dog. We are open. Puma desperately needs a playmate that can keep up with her and we are ready to spoil another. www.bullterrierrescue.org
    They are also on facebook
  • edited June 2016
    So glad your quest is moving forward X We're considering getting another pup to be Harley's companion we have a friend of the family who breeds 'Old' English Bulldogs who has offered one from a litter next year. It'll give Harley time to mature and have us to herself for a while X Hope you get your new dog soon x
    @pumagirl - Is NC too far for you to travel for a 9 week old puppy? I have one that I am getting tonight which is a render due to a tragedy in the family. This puppy is not from any of our litters but he's a great Bullie.

Pistol 01.JPG
    2048 x 2048 - 648K
    Pistol 02.JPG
    640 x 1136 - 192K
    Pistol 03.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Well I'm going to assume you don't have an interest in this guys adoption so I have listed his availability on our website in order to gather applicants for his adoption. I'm sure we will receive several which is good because it allows us to be able to hand pick the best possible home for him.

http://bulliesofnc.com/adultsadoptionrescue/ 

Pistol - 01.jpg
    1024 x 640 - 289K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • @BulliesofNC he is absolutely amazing! I'm sure it will not take you anytime at all to find him the prefect forever home! If Layla was just a wee bit older I would take him in a heartbeat!
    Yes, he will have no difficulty at all finding a great home. I just posted him on our website and I'm 100% I'll be flooded with applications to review tonight.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    He has been adopted to a wonderful family!!!!

:-bd  :-bd  :-bd  :-bd :-bd :-bd  :-bd  :-bd  :-bd
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Darn it, haven't been on here in awhile!!! Dang it would have snatched him up
    Yep, you're a little late but on a good note he is in a great home and being adored.

Adopted 160713.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 197K
    Jinx 1.jpg
    690 x 960 - 97K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • You can see they adore him.... I am so happy ..he is a handsome little guy. B-)