Skip to content

Elbow sore

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me please. My male bully has had a sore on his elbow since March. When I clean it I apply some pressure to remove fluid thats built up which is like watery blood. The vets have put him on antibiotics and it looks like it's starting to help but then flares up again. He's had the basic testing done and it's come back as just inflamed skin and no infection at all. Next step is for him to be sedated and to have tiny part of the weeping skin removed for more in depth testing. Before he got this sore he was on skinners hypoallergenic dried food but I though I'd put him on "natures choice" raw food and after a bit this sore appeared. I don't know if it's coincidence as I though raw was meant to be better for them. I've now swapped him back on to the skinners to see if that makes a difference.

The first picture is at its worst when the vet said to just clean it and not to apply pressure and remove the build up fluid. After a day it went all bubbly and burst out the holes where it weeps from. The second picture is what it's like at the moment with me removing the built up fluid.
image.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 2M
image.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 2M

Comments

• edited June 2016
    How is your dog now? I'm sorry that you've not got a reply before. Equally I really don't have much to contribute as I'm not an expert but just wanted to send my best wishes x
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Looks like an area he is just getting rough with due to his sleep habits. Bull Terriers are quick to develop calloused elbows as well as the ankle one area. My recommendation would be to provide some more cushion for the bedding to where he sleeps the most. I would also be rubbing some bag balm on his elbows which will help heal up the areas.

bag_balm.jpg
    240 x 240 - 21K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Hi Tirednemotional, I spoke to a nurse at work and he suggested cleaning it with saline & putting fucidin cream on 3 times a day, should start seeing a difference in approx a week. It's been nearly a week and it's no where near as bad, certainly not weeping like it was. Fingers crossed its helping it. Thank you for ur comment, much appreciated. X

BulliesofNC, I will look for that balm you've suggested. Buddy has a plastic bad with big padded cushion in it but 99% of the time he either sleeps on my bed or on the sofa, i could put a blanket on the sofa to make it softer as our sofa is leather. Thank you for ur comment.