Skip to content

Swimming

HI

When can my pup start to have a bash at swimming and any tips on how i make him enjoy it etc?

it will be a lake or a waterfall.
he LOVES to walk in the sea but its too rough here atm to try swimming

Comments

• edited June 2016
    Well, if your dog already likes to walk in the water the best time to start the swimming lessons is - now. :D
    Get a live vest for your pup. Make sure it's the right size for the weight range he's in.
    Choose calm waters and take it slow at first.

Your pup may surprise you by just dashing into calmer water and taking a swim without the need of any encouragement.
    Yet, some dogs tend to get scared or even freak out once they lose bottom under their feet.
    If you get into the water with your pup this can become a great trust exercise.

If it turns out after a few attempts that your dog is not adjusting and keeps freaking out over losing bottom under the feet, he may just not be a swimmer. Raise the bar gradually and allow the time to adjust.

Djamila was very hesitant around and in the pool as a baby and it took us several month to show her that she can swim, that losing bottom is not scary and how to enter and exit the pool safely.
    Today swimming is her favorite daily exercise.
  • I took him to the local lake. HE walked in ok and got nervous when feet didnt touch floor. He swam but it was more to me or to the edge. i gave him lots of praise and and he wasnt shunning me lol
    he still walks in but wouldnt really come to me in deeper water. Ill keep at it a few times and if not get better ill prob stop.
    i took a video but i tried to upload and it says incorrect format?

• edited June 2016
    Maybe Steve can help with the video format.

Does he wear a life vest? It makes a huge difference, once the dog notices that it will not sink.
    Give it time. You can even try it every now and then over several months. Maturing and gaining confidence can also change a dog's attitude towards water over time.

The only thing you should try to avoid with a dog that is already cautious when losing bottom, is bad experiences in the water. Because only one of those can ruin its positive outlook at water for life.

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    The easiest way to post a video is through YouTube. All you have to do is copy and paste the url.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com