Skip to content

Any Bull Terriers used for Deer Stalking?

edited June 2016 in General
Just wondered if anyone on the forum takes their Bullie on stalking trips? Harley Quinn has been out on the hills with my husband and friends on a few occasions now although she is still little and gets carried or hitches a lift in the Argo or Landy when she gets tired. One of my husband's friends is a gun dog trainer and is willing to train her and the dogs are only used to track a deer that didn't drop straight away. She just loves her venison. image
image.jpeg
720 x 844 - 92K
image.jpeg
720 x 844 - 92K

Comments

• jcfreejcfree Alabama
    Most dogs that are used as bay dogs, or in your case, to track a wounded/dead deer, are hounds or other dogs with an uncanny sense of smell. I am not too sure about bull terriers noses, I mean I know they are big, but I don't know how well they smell. The only bull terriers that I have seen or heard of that do some form of hunting/tracking are used as catch dogs with hogs. I don't think they would be the best dogs to use for tracking, but you never know!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    My bullies chase deer all the time. They're convinced that they have the chance at catching one but time after time they quit the the chase and come back out of breath and disappointed.

You're right though, they certainly Love venison!

I think if they were used to track deer in the field they's be great at tracking but you'd have to be right on their heals or by the time you caught up with them there may not be too much left to salvage. :)

I know there are many that use Bull Terriers as working dogs for hunting pig.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com