Skip to content

First time you met and fell in love with the breed?

edited June 2016 in General
Apologies if something like this has already been posted but it's something I'm always curious about when I meet another English Bull Terrier owner considering there's not many I come across.

I met my first English Bull Terrier when we visited my father's cousin in England. I was about 6 or 7 at the time and was visiting my father's aunt who took us to visit her late husband's nephew on his sprawling farm in Surrey. I was a very timid child and can remember feeling awkward visiting people that I had never met before. So there I was perched on a settee in a rather grand room when this huge white dog (well he seemed huge to me) ambled into the room, hopped on the couch next to me, gave a huge sigh, placed his head on my lap and promptly fell asleep snoring loudly. I fell instantly in love with the breed. He was later properly introduced to me as 'Pigsty' or Piggy as he was affectionately known. And so my love affair with the breed began, and although I was 30 before I got my first one, I'm glad that she was the first dog my children grew up with and that now they also have Harley Quinn to carry on the love affair.

Comments

• edited June 2016
    From the day i was born. First family dog was blue heeler x bull terrier. Second one was the same but a female and the third one was pure bull terrier male.

And now i have my own house i got my own bull terrier.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I grew up with Boxers but at the age of 14 I really wanted a Bull Terrier after seeing one. It wasn't for years later that I fulfilled my dream with a solid brindle male named "Diesel." He wasn't the biggest or baddest Bullie in the world but he was awesome. I was hooked to the breed from then on and have never owned or raised another breed since. However,a few years ago my wife has allowed a French Bull Dog to join the pack as her personal lap dog. Poor guy really thinks he's a Bull Terrier and is probably the most energetic Bull Dog on the planet. He's a god boy but there's nothing like a Bull Terrier.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited June 2016
    When I was young, I was a total "cat-person". My parents were breeding Basset hounds until I was about 10-12 years old. Jep, exactly, the "Columbo" dogs who look like someone was unable to stop himself from pulling on their ears and body. :))
    Boy, I can tell you just as Bull Terriers these dogs have LOTS of personality. If you look up the definition of "stubborn", I am sure you will find "Basset hound" and not "Bull Terrier". :))

As kids we experience things a little differently. Maybe that's why I loved our dogs, but never really connected with them, if that makes any sense.
    Once I grew out of having guinea pigs and hamsters, I finally got my first (and last) own cat.

Next time I encountered a dog was when I met my future husband some decades ago - and his American Staffordshire Terrier. My husband had been longing for a Bull Terrier for ages, had had lots of encounters with them already in the past and even owned books and a lot of reading stuff about the breed (which I benefited from A LOT, before we eventually got our first EBT). Eventually for some reason he had still decided to get the Am Staff he brought into the relationship. The Am Staff was wild and rambunctious. We were much younger and by far not as experienced with dogs as today, even though dogs of all kinds had ALWAYS been in my husband's family since he was little. This dog gave me a first taste of the "terrier temperament" and taught me patience. But he really made up for his many mischievous actions by his sweet and lovable nature. When he died, he left a huge gap and emptiness behind. Originally we had decided to not get another dog for now. That decision lasted for a few weeks after he had been gone. :))

Then we started talking about getting another dog, admitting that being without one hurt too much. But this time from the start my husband made it very clear: English Bull Terrier or NO new dog. Those were my options - hubby can be very convincing with such things :D 
    The problem with the EBT's back at that time was: I thought they were ugly as hell and was not really impressed by the idea of getting one. :-?
    At that time I was more into the typical family dogs, such as labradors or golden retrievers.
    But I am an openminded person. And after reading a lot about them, I got a first idea of the Bull Terrier's devoted nature and their unique temperament.
    In order to figure out for good, if I could befriend the idea of becoming a Bull Terrier owner, we drove through half of Germany to visit several rescue groups and foster families in order to personally meet some Bull Terriers over one weekend. Once I had one-to-one contact the ice started to melt. I was still a little overwhelmed by their temperament. But it was not like I had not been living with a spirited dog for the past few years. :D 

Then eventually we got our first EBT, who turned out to be the most wonderful dog I could ever wish for. She was rather shy and sensitive for a Bull Terrier, but still had the goofy attitude we all love them for so much! I still miss her every day and she is the reason why I am now as hooked to the breed as my husband.
    We also thought about getting a Frenchie for about a day or so after she died. But we simply could not bring ourselves to making the switch.

Today, now that I have a much better understanding of dogs, I basically kind of love EVERY dog.
    But like Steve already said: There's NO dog like the Bull Terrier. Never say never ... but for now I think it will always be a Bull Terrier for us, as long as we only have ONE dog in the house and as long as it is possible to find breeders who care about breeding healthy ones.
  • Around 1982 I was in a pub by the Oatlands Park hotel in England, and a BT was the official "greeter."  He'd wander about saying "hello" to all the people there.  I thought he was lovely, but sort of forgot about him when I went back to the US.

About a year later we read up on Wheaten Terriers and my mom decided she wanted one.  So we went to a local dog show to see one.  We happened to pass by the BT ring . . . and that was it.  We were lost.  We saw them lying across people's laps, disobeying like mad in the ring, and generally whooping it up.

We bought one within a week, and that have had nothing but BTs ever since.
  • I lost my bestfriend lab of 13 years and was devastated. We were asked to rescue Puma but I wasnt ready. She was basicaly dropped off at my sisters house. She called me to come see her. The minute Puma came out of her kennel and ran into my arms, I busted out in tears crying like a baby. She rescued me and I fell in love with her.
    Phil describes ones relationship with a bull terrier perfect, it's a love affair. Such true words!
  • When I was about 12 I brought home a dog breed book from school and loved the bull terrier for some reason. I convinced my sister to love them because they sort of reminded me of a horse which is what she loves! :)
    We made posters and printed photos until we finally convinced our parents. Which lead to our first brindle little boy and a year later another white female! My family still loves the breed and we do too
  • I remember that I saw the film, "Babe: Pig in the City". I thought the tough dog in that film was so awesome looking. It was tough but soft at the same time. The character was called P.B. because the filmmakers incorrectly called the dog a Pit Bull (huge pet-peeve of mine when people do that). So then I asked my Dad if we could get that dog from the movie (I was 7-8). He said absolutely not, because he thought the dog was a pit bull too.

Ever since that film though I have been interested in the breed. I would see them in films but never on the street.

Finally after practically begin my wife for almost a year (and reading every book on the breed), we finally got one! His name is De Niro! He is the most quirky and lovable dog that I have ever had!
  • For me it is the simple fact that they are so unique! From their looks, their characteristics, their history, it all stands out to me. So really the first time i saw a Bull Terrier i was hooked. I know have my very own puppy Bronte and he is a JOY to have around!!