Skip to content

SHE ATE A FABRIC SOFTENER SHEET!!!

So, she grabbed a used fabric softener sheet and ran. Swallowed it before I could pry her mouth open. Now what??? Ugh.

Comments

• Hydrogen peroxide=success! Thank you!
  • edited June 2016
    Hydrogen peroxide does not really do much damage when swallowed, IF in a low concentration, if you mean that this is what she swallowed.
    The concentration should be pretty low in those softener sheets. Otherwise they would be likely to affect the colors of fabric while drying.
    Now she's going to be bright and white from the inside either.
    :D

I would worry more about the added fragrances, as they are usually artificial aromas.

But if she only swallowed one sheet, I think it's likely that even those will probably "only" cause an upset stomach in the worst case.
    I still think calling the manufacturer for more information on potentially harmful ingredients, as advised in one of those yahoo posts, could be an idea to be sure.
  • The fabric softener sheet that she swallowed was a used one, and I gave her 2.5 tbsp. Of hydrogen peroxide and she vomited within 5 minutes...thank goodness!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Happy to hear it worked out successfully for you @VioletBliss. I don't foresee you having any ill effect from the incident other than the slim chance of an upset stomach. Keep her well hydrated and I'm sure she'll be fine.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you! Yep, she's already flying around here like nothing happened! And I have yet a few more gray hairs!
  • edited June 2016
    I see you introduced vomiting using the H2O2. How did you get her to ingest it?

Yep, she's already flying around here like nothing happened!
    So typical! (Almonst) nothing can scare an EBT.  :))
  • I used a syringe and just squirted it down the side of her mouth before she had time to protest, then I blew air in her face so she would swallow, then I massaged her throat a little bit. She didn't even know what hit her.
  • Mine ate one a while back and she just pooped it out a day later, I didn't know about the peroxide trick
  • edited June 2016
    I used a syringe and just squirted it down the side of her mouth before she had time to protest, then I blew air in her face so she would swallow, then I massaged her throat a little bit. She didn't even know what hit her.
    Very interesting. I did not know this remedy, either. Never had to introduce vomiting in a dog.
    I was only wondering a little, why they put peroxide into dryer sheets, because it's a bleaching agent. But then again, I am not a chemist. So, what do I know, right?
    :)

But you giving it to introduce vomiting makes much more sense now. ;) Good idea to use a syringe.
    Which percentage did you use? The regular household strength? I believe that's 3%?
    Just in case I or anyone else here ever needs it.
  • Im not sure why they put peroxide in fabric softener. I didn't know that. I used the 3% and I believe the dosage to be 1 tbsp per 10 lbs...I gave Violet 2.5 tbsp even though she's almost 35 lbs. I don't know if it's for everyone, but it worked like a charm for us!
  • edited June 2016
    Im not sure why they put peroxide in fabric softener. I didn't know that.

I don't think they do. I just assumed it BEFORE you corrected my assumption by explaining that you gave the peroxide to Violet to introduce the vomiting. Just did not know what to make of the peroxide before.  :))

Thanks for the information on the percentage. I think this entire tip may come in handy for someone else some day. 
    :)
    For those that are interested in MANY awesome topics when it comes to dogs I highly recommend checking out Dr. Karen Becker on YouTube. She has many great topics and over the last couple years I have shared a few of her videos on this forum such as Yeast Problems and the truth behind Spay and Neuter. Here's another video of hers that fits the subject of this discussion.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you to every one for your thoughts on the latest adventures of Violet! She's very soft and snuggly, lol.
    I'm confident after the fabric softener snack she's a lot softer, more snuggly, and even has nicer smelling breath.
    :))

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Lol, she is all those and more!