Skip to content

Height of adult dog?

HI
As most may have read on here, im a first time bully owner. I just want a quick update if that is ok. I know i was posted a height/weight guide by somebody of their own pup but i was unable to open and read.
My pup is currently 38cm (not had chance to weigh him yet but at about 11/12 weeks he was about 16lbs. any idea if his height is ok and what he may be fully grown hwight and weight, i know will be hard as i dont have todays weight. He was a chubby pup, well a fat little thing:) but he looks bit leaner know as i think he is growing up now and not out lol

btw i measured him today and he is 15 weeks tomorrow.
20160528_145216.jpg
4128 x 2322 - 2M
20160528_145323.jpg
4128 x 2322 - 2M
20160528_145146.jpg
4128 x 2322 - 3M

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    It's extremely hard to look at a young puppy and forecast their future adult weight and height at maturity. Not only is his future potential based on his health, nutrition, and exercise in which you provide him but Genetics play a HUGE roll in regard to what his future height and weight potential will be. The best possible prediction you could go off of would be studying his pedigree within his 3 generations and obviously keying in on his sire and dam as the best indication of future adult size. His structure appears to be more of the Terrier and Dalmatian type than it does Bull Type. I would guesstimate that his parents weren't all that big or thick. As an early guess based on his present age and photos I would say he will mature at 20" and about 55-60 pounds.
    BT Types.JPG
    1730 x 1504 - 352K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Is weight usually relative to height. My bully is 50cm (20") tall and weighs 29kg (64lb) at 2 years old. But i searched all the males i could find info on in his pedigree and on his fathers side for 4 generations they were all between 33-37kg. Will he put on a few more kg in the next year or so or will 29kg be about it. Im hoping his chest and shoulders bulk up a bit more.
    64 lbs isn't a bad weight at all for a male Bull Terrier. Based on the "Types" of Bull Terriers I illustrated above many Bull Terriers may not ever get the mass or thickness which would be more on the Bull Type which obviously would add the natural weight based on their structure. A Bull Terrier that has the genetic makeup to be more on the Terrier or Dalmatian Type will never reach into the 70 pound range.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited May 2016
    Very interesting, loving the info you post Steve. Hazarding a guess, and it is a guess Harley may be more of a Dalmation type as she has long legs. Already discovered she's of the Snipey McSnipe face variety too! However as a rescue I knew that it was doubtful she came from good lines as her Dam's owner was a Crud Bucket of the first order and who knows where he got his dogs from. However she's a complete delight and no doubt will make a fabulous companion.
    image.jpeg
    826 x 661 - 124K
  • 64 lbs isn't a bad weight at all for a male Bull Terrier. Based on the "Types" of Bull Terriers I illustrated above many Bull Terriers may not ever get the mass or thickness which would be more on the Bull Type which obviously would add the natural weight based on their structure. A Bull Terrier that has the genetic makeup to be more on the Terrier or Dalmatian Type will never reach into the 70 pound range.

his grandfather is silver bullet the joker. Which is rocky tops sundance kids offspring which is einstein the jokers off spring. They all appear to be pretty solid dogs. And his paws still look too big for him. I guess only time can tell how he will turn out.
    edited May 2016
    There's thousands of offspring from RockyTops Sundance kid. I've seen some good some bad. I've also seen some breedings with no DNA on the sire questioning the validity of the entire pedigree to begin with.
    Did you personally meet and interact with both parents of your puppy? What was their sizes?
    Based on the current structure and overall look of your puppy he may not be taking after the particular Bull Terriers you mention that are depicted in his pedigree. Have you researched his pedigree through http://ingrus.net/bull/en/ ?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I seen the mother. She was a thick stocky dog. Ive only seen a picture of the father. The litter was artificially inseminated. The breeder said the father was a little bit bigger than the mother. But maybe hes more like a male on the mothers side of the genes.
  • Roco if you search up the dogs names on YouTube there will often be videos that can give you a better look at the dogs in his pedigree that's what I did for example this is my pups father you can see the difference between a photo and in surroundings to have a better idea of his size etc 

Screenshot_20160530-080745.png
    1440 x 2560 - 2M
  • This channel/s seem to have quite a few videos of dogs maybe it's worth looking his family tree up on this channel ?  I'll shamelessly post some links of other dogs within Teddy's pedigree not my choice in music but .... 
    It can give you a more realistic view of what your dog could look like :) 
  • So had  Arrow weighed today at the vets and he is 21llbs

so his stats so far have been.....

8 weeks. 12lbs

11 weeks. 16llbs

15 weeks.  21llbs 38cm in height

He's packing on some weight fast.  :-bd

New Photos requested. :>

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • He's packing on some weight fast.  :-bd

New Photos requested. :>

if you insist :))
    20160603_154049.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 2M
    20160603_154129.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 2M
    20160603_154239.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 2M
    20160603_154427.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 3M
    Yep, he's growing fast and looking good! The energy level of Bull Terriers at this age is unbelievable.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • chilling
    beach.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 2M
  • Had to take Arrow to the vet today as woke up with a bad limp (was fine when he went to sleep!), he has a pulled muscle in back right leg.

weighed him and he is now
    26.8llbs at 17 weeks
    so thats another 5 llbs in 2 weeks
    Poor guy. I hope he's ok and you get him Vet checked. I'd hate to hear it was a torn ACL or a Grade 3 Luxating Petella issue. Bull Terriers have such a high tolerance for pain that when they actually show signs of distress it's often an injury of significance. Please keep us posted.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com