Skip to content

is this normal

hi
as ive said before i am new to ebt's and want to ask if the following are "normal" puppy behaviour

1 he does not want to walk. when we go outside he doesnt like walking on the road/pavement. he sometimes seems ok on gravel but hardly ever wals
2 he sleeps alot still, is this because of the heat (its about 95f all year)
3 he barks alot at people outside the gate and cars and noises. i would class it as a submissive bark (tail between the legs)
4 im trying to clicker train, he seems to know what sit and come means but once training stops he wont do or even look at me
5 most people ive read says their ebt is affectionate. I play with mine, feed him,, i work from home so im with him nearly all day. yet other than when playing he will sit alone, maybe 10 feet etc, in same room but not what i would say on my lap or cuddles like my boxer would at that age.44
6 he seems happy enough, vet says he is ok if a little chubby, he plays, his tail wags when we play, he doesnt cry, he eats, toilets regualr and solid etc

are these normal?

he is booked in for a 121 set of training sessions starting tuesday with the best trainer on the island so ill keep utd on progress but as a new ebt owner i wanted to see if these were normal and any suggestions?

Comments

• edited April 2016
    You didn't mention your pup's age or did I miss it?
    But so far, at a glance ALL of this sounds pretty normal for an English Bull Terrier puppy.

The affection will come. Just give it some time.
    Many pups are anxious about leaving their territory. That's why they often do not like long walks away from their home when very young. Sometimes it helps to carry them a bit and walk away from the house. When set down then, many walk like a charm. But don't make the walks too long anyway, if the pup is very young.
    In addition, EBT's need entertainment and fun. Even when older they may refuse walking "boring" routes. :) Just a thing for you to keep in mind.
    The obedience comes with further training.
    Sleeping a lot is also not unusual. Puppies need a lot of sleep and rest in addition to their play times.
    The barking may be something that needs to be worked on with training.

Good luck with the class. I think thats a great idea for the both of you to work together, to strengthen the bond and for you to gain a little more control and with it confidence as well.

And PLEASE, if you have not done that anywhere here already, make our day by posting some pics! :) We ALL LOVE puppy photos here. Thx! :)
  • Thanks... he is 10 weeks today
    the ears down pic is a couple weeks old, his ears are up now

one thing he is very good at, is he sits in the footwell of the scooter when going the beach

IMAG0184.jpg
    1520 x 2688 - 984K
    IMAG0179.jpg
    1520 x 2688 - 679K
    IMAG0191.jpg
    1520 x 2688 - 987K
    IMAG0187.jpg
    1520 x 2688 - 2M
    IMAG0195.jpg
    1520 x 2688 - 582K
    IMAG0185.jpg
    2688 x 1520 - 655K
  • fyi
    that isnt how he sits on the footwell, he is just resting there :)
  • edited April 2016
    I KNEW IT! Such a cutie!!! Look at those giant ears!
    And like someone else recently said in this forum: He will even get better with age!!!
    :D
    Thanks for the photos!
  • All sounds very normal to me also. They are certainly not your typical puppies! As djammy said the affection will come in time and when it's there it is nothing short of amazing! The first couple months of bringing Bianca home i thought maybe she didn't like us too much. She wasn't terribly interactive, affectionate and didn't seem to wag her tail a whole lot. These days she thinks she's a lap dog, snuggles like no other and just can't get enough of us! If we aren't all in the room together she's song what we're up to, she's happiest when were all together having a couch snuggle!