Skip to content

Opinion

I have to figure out how to get pics on here cuz I'd like everyone's help in evaluating my ebt cuz I'm seriously considering a second one. However, I don't know if I should go back to the original breeder or not. I have no plans on showing or breeding. My confirmation concerns are from a health perspective. Unfortunately, I did not request registration papers which was stupid I know. I do know the stud dog was purchased from NC The same as our host but not our host. The only reason that stuck with me is because we used to have a family summer vacation home in NC and I'm very fond of the area.

Still there are some things that bother me in retrospect about the breeder. Mainly, being that I believe it was a income source. It was afterwards I found he had other females. Which isn't necessarily bad but it made me wonder. I don't want to put a name out cuz this guy could be excellent and I don't want to tarnish someone's rep without strong proof. Also I have to say I kinda suspect my dog may not have been from the same litter. Just little nagging things in hind sight I want to understand before another purchase.

I've read the breed standard but after racing horses for years reading and seeing are different. It was only after years of evaluating bloodstock that I could spot the best from the rest and pick up tiny flaws that could present issue later if that makes any sense.

Quite frankly after the long drive there I'd have taken a chicken to get going.

Also the breeder seemed to be gently pushing me toward two who were cute as hell. I selected a brindle and he said he didn't like the tiger stripe of his brindle that his dog was throwing. Honestly it is rather like a tiger stripe. I selected him for his behavior amoung the others. Which was he was independent and somewhat aloof. He wasn't insecure or dependent on his litter mates like the others.

Hopefully, I can finally get pics on here and some opinions.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    @Jena_shahadi - Let me just say this ~ All reputable breeders will at least provide you with AKC Registration papers regardless if you request them or not. The mere fact you do not have any registrations papers is already a bad sign of breeder negligence.

Read this article and you can cast your own judgement in regard to what kind of breeder they are based on what you received with your puppy and noticed during your visit with them.

http://bulliesofnc.com/finding-reputable-bull-terrier-breeder/

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you for taking the time to reply and to have written a breeder evaluation guideline.

Unfortunately my nephew wasn't able to stop yet so i have no pics. Even if knew how I'm afraid it would take two to get him to pose and remain still to get any decent photos.

Anyway, after reading your article I've decided not to return to him. I realize there can be a great variation in size and color with any mating. However, the size difference was just too great with healthy pups. Thankfully they were house raised and the stud was gorgeous. My best guess is that he has at least three females and is using them for at least a partial primary source of income. Of course I found this information out after my purchase but I had my suspicions as I'm trying to obtain registration papers. I'm going to have to do the dna testing on my own.

I've also been studying your website pics trying to familiarize myself more with proper Comfirmation. As I know dogs like horses don't always grow balanced I can't quite tell what I have. He seems to have good bone but his head seems weak being of the longer slimmer variety you mentioned. I am concerned about his bite. It's hard to evaluate as well at this stage.

Keep in mind I had never seen one in the flesh and neither has anyone in my area. I was asked if he was a new species on a trip thru a drive up. That's how rare they are here.

Just based on my experience with dogs, kids and horses I'm strongly leaning to a second one. Of course one is fine but I find they are easier to deal with and much happier with a companion/playmate. I would want a female paired with him with dogs. Who would have to be fixed as I stress I'm not interested in breeding. Plus a litter of EBTs would give me a stroke. Ive just seen too much aggression with two females or two males even when fixed with dogs. Possibly, it's the terrier in them.

Hopefully I'll have pics soon! Thx again. Excellent website!

Ps I also wanted to mention all you wrote about breeders is what I ran into. People who demanded I at least contractually attempt to show the dogs AND they maintained all the rights but not the costs. This is madness but I ran into it over and over again.