Skip to content

Tips on Adolescence

Hello!

Well, Trica is turning 6 months this week, and I think she's entering into the adolescence stage of her life. Now, she have much energy, however, she doesn't like walking outside as much as she prefer to play inside the house. I manage that having regular playing sessions with her and walking at least once a day. Also, in the backyard I have a pool (is summer here), she likes to play with water, but she doesn't like to get inside the pool as much as I would like. But open the hose, and she's jumping around playing with water.

But I would like to increase her walks. It's really difficult, and yesterday we were walking and suddenly she stop and begin to shiver and also cried, like she was scared. It wasn't a new route. She's fine around the house, but when I try to increase the time walking or a new place she doesn't want to go.

The other major change is that she's becoming more defiant. When we're playing she gets excited and starts to use more force and starts to bite, and jump, and run around the room. It freaks me out because she don't use the breaks, she just hits the wall and change the direction. But for the biting I'm using the pinning method, she calms down, but as soon as I let her go, she starts again. It's like a challenge to me. So if the pinning doesn't work, I leave the room and left her alone until she calms down.

Do you have more tips on how to handle this? Or the stage of adolescence for EBT.

Thanks,

Giovanna

20151211_083515.jpg
5312 x 2988 - 6M

Comments

• Nope, everything sounds pretty normal!!! :P

About the walks...some dogs just don't like to walk. I stopped trying to force the issue with my dog. Some days, she'll go out, pee, and then turn right back around and come inside. Other days she'll pee and head down the sidewalk. (we are in an apartment) I pretty much let her choose now, I didn't see the point in fighting her. Wouldn't be much exercise anyway her just standing around/pulling me in the wrong direction the whole time. We do have a dog park in the complex though and she much prefers that.

My only advice would be to let her choose what she likes to do to have fun. Keep the exercise regular, but don't stress, and let her have fun!

Defiance is also normal. I do completely stop play when my dog gets rough, though. She also knows the command "that's enough" or "enough" and she usually gets the hint to stop what she's doing. You do have to be very forceful during the teen stages to keep a firm hold on them. they are definitely stubborn!!