Skip to content

Baby teeth

Cooper is 4 months old tomorrow, I noticed about 7 days ago, about 8 of his puppy teeth had dropped.  To my understanding, adult teeth usually chase them out, and you can usually see the tips coming in shortly there after.  It has now been 7 days, and the holes are still there, no tips coming in or showing.  Should this raise concern?  Or is this supported by the normal timeline for their teeth?  Picture below.
coop teeth.jpg
240 x 320 - 10K

Comments

• edited November 2015
    As I remember we've had quite some "holey" times, too. But I don't remember for how long exactly.

The more common concerns during teething actually are malpositions of the following teeth. I'd probably not be worried by now about the following teeth coming out. Pretty sure they will start to show soon. But I am no expert. If you want to be sure, give your vet a quick call. They should now, if that's normal.

Once the adult teeth are growing a bit, I'd definitely have them checked by your vet.
    It's sometimes a slippery slope with vets, but after all every now and then we just need the advice of a professional. Some of them are quick with expensive suggestions on tooth corrections. And it can be very hard to decide, if the suggested treatment is REALLY necessary for the dog rather than the vet's wallet.
    So, asking around like you already do before making a decision - in case of doubt also asking a second vet - is always a good idea, before spending lots of money on procedures that are very uncomfortable for your dog, while the benefit may mainly be of cosmetic nature.
    Just mentioning this, because you seem very concerned and nervous about the entire tooth matter.
    Maybe this can be helpful in the future.
  • Excellent, Thank you.  Just wanted to see if it was abnormal.  It hasn't raised to much concern, I was anticipating it to take a bit of time.  Thanks a lot for your input.