Skip to content

Foreign body eating

My puppy has grown into a mischievous teenager who loves stealing our laundry. We usually chase him and are able to get it back. This morning I woke up to a soaking wet brown sock in his kennel. I do not nor does my wife own any brown socks so it became apparent he ate and then either passed/vomited the sock. Thing is he has been eating fine and not showing any of the signs of a dog who ingested a foreign body. Since he didn't display this how can I know if he has eaten anything else?

Comments

• edited November 2015
    Unless you'de been watching him eating it, he stops eating or is developing other problems (constipation, belly aches etc.) OR you have a belly x-ray or something like that performed - you can't know.

You can try to teach him, which objects he is allowed to take an play with and which he should leave alone. They are smart and compliant with enough education. But that takes some time. Everything else is up to you controlling, watching, taking away etc. BEFORE he gets the chance.
    Djamila stole two my husband's glasses cleaning cloths, when she was little and swallowed them. One passed her body and came out during potty business, the other one she threw up.
    Both of them took a loooooong time to “return”. I think I remember that it was weeks later.
    Trash can just sit in an animal’s stomach for a LONG time.
    That’s why unfortunately a lot of seabirds starve to death with a full belly: They have nothing but man made thrash in it, which they picked up in the waters and no more room for real food.

We were lucky that the cloths did not cause Djamila any problems. But the only reason why we suspected that she had taken them before they came out again was that they mysteriously went missing from my husband’s desk.
    I was a little nervous until they came out again and now watch small objects in reachable range (that includes desks) even more!
    Also I do not let her roam around alone in rooms with a lot of stuff to take and unsupervised. A lot of doors in our house are closed most of the time for that reason.

Small objects - unless very pointy or sharp - most of the time do not cause problems.
    But you never know. EBT's are curious to no end and try to discover everything!
    Taking away small objects and not letting them have small pieces of apparel, toys etc. is your best chance to avoid problems.

Right now, if you suspect anything else in his tummy, because it went missing in the house, besides watching for symptoms of discomfort watch his stools closely.