Skip to content

The Phantom Limp

I know this isn't an EBT question, but was wondering if any of your dogs ever get a phantom limp? Freyja just started limping randomly on saturday after playing with some dogs for a few hours and I just assumed she played too hard and was cutting sharp angles and things. We took our first walk yesterday since it happened, about 25% of our normal walk, and she did fine. She was playful today and we did almost half our normal walk and she was great, with no limp. Then about 15 minutes ago I was grabbing something from in the house while she was out back and she just started crying. I walked out and she limped back to me for no apparent reason. I carried her inside and she immediately crashed when I set her on the couch. Doubtful that its a bully thing. But figured I'd look into if anyone else has run into this. She doesnt seem to have a pain in any particular area. Rubbing and pushing doesnt seem to cause her any discomfort. Possible issues from just being a growing pup? She just hit 4 months and I'm wondering if its just a growth plate thing. I remember getting some killer leg aches as a kid when I was growing.

For your time:

IMG_20151013_123746848.jpg
2432 x 4320 - 3M

Comments

• edited October 2015
    She is SO cute!

When Djamila was a few months old, I've experienced some limping with her, either. She was ok in the house, but once we went outside, chances were she'd limp a little. Same thing: touching, pressing etc. did not seem to cause discomfort.
    I kept a close eye on it in order to figure out, whether it's time to see the vet or not. No jumping during that time and only limited ball play. As it went on and off (sometimes nothing for a week, then three limping days in a row with no noticeable trigger) I had a hard time to get to the point of seeing a vet and being able to actually SHOW the problem.
    After about two to three weeks - I think - it just vanished and everything has been fine ever since.

So, I guess it could be related to the growth.
    However, it's really hard to tell for sure in any single case. It could as well be something regarding the muscle or joints that needs attention. I guess in this case you are very much depending on your gut feeling. Sadly, no rule of thumb here.

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Normally, growth won't create any sort of need for a limp. Pain causes a limp. It is very common for a Bull Terrier puppy to cause self injury due to their energy level. Something as small as jumping off a chair wrong can do damage. Often they will suffer a small sprain or pulled muscle. In other cases they can actually fracture a bone. It may not even be the leg that's bothering her. She could have injured a toe or even cracked a nail which will cause a limp.

In the event the limp continues or she starts to do it more often I would have her checked by a Vet. The biggest worry you'd have would be a fractured bone or possible luxating petella. I too, recommend that her activity level be minimized for the time being so that whatever ailment she is feeling has some time to heal.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Back when Quinn was around 2 years old (or possibly younger) we dealt with a recurring limp. She would be fine, we'd go out to play and she would run run run and then sleep and relax. Whenever she got back up she would then have a heavy limp, which would lessen as she would walk. The next day she'd be back to normal. I have no idea what caused the limping. I put it up to just playing really hard and possibly reinjuring herself over and over. Maybe a muscle thing. After a while it just went away. She hasn't limped in a year or two now.

Bull Terriers are very high energy (when they want to be) and have very high pain tolerance. Often even though they are hurt they will keep going, and then you'll see them acting sad and sorry later. Try to limit the play for about a week and see if she improves. Ease her back into playing and don't overdo it. I'm sure you'll see an improvement.
  • Well, the limp left and she went back to playing. The limp made one last appearance for a couple of hours 5-6 days after the initial limp started, but we're back to regular long walks plus fetch and tug. She somehow managed to get even more playful after the limp. Which is work for me, but we all know we love working hard for our pups.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    That's great news!

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com