Skip to content

How are we doing?

Birdie is my first
puppy. She was 4 months old on July 1. She hasn't had an accident in the house since
the end of May and barks at the door to be let out/in. (I'm still amazed at how
easily she potty trained!) She isn't quite making it through the night and usually
asks go out about 4 am. She does pee a bit with excitement, like when someone
comes over or she meets another dog. She doesn't seem to be aware of it. I just
make sure she is outside when I know this is going to happen and hope she will
grow out of it.

She will sit, shake, lie down and stay for a treat --- and sometimes without
one. She loves her crate and toys and can entertain herself for good long
periods of time. She has been good with every person and dog she has met and
plays well with dogs of all sizes. She gets most of her exercise from
tumbling around with her friends. We haven't done much work on the leash
and I can tell that we need to start working on that next. We do go out for
"smells" that I call walks. There is a nice walking trail along the
river with smells that are obviously quite fascinating. We have also been to
the dog park, but there is weirdly never anyone else there. I don’t know if I
would let her off the leash around strange dogs, anyway. But when we had the
place to ourselves I did turn her loose and she never went more than about 20
feet away from me. 

She alternates between a
sweet and loving lap dog and a feisty, busy, blur of fur. She doesn't like it
when I tell her "no" and sometimes grumbles or talks back (barks),
like "Okaaaay, but I don't like this!” She is still a bit mouthy, but
she is gentle and isn't biting anymore. The poor babe can't even hold onto her
ball or pay tug right now, as she just lost all of her canine teeth. We saw the
vet for her final shots a couple of weeks ago and were told that she is doing
great. She even loves going to the vet.

She has never once been
happy to see me. I am all she has, and she follows me like my shadow. I have been
socializing her almost daily since she was 8 weeks old. I have left her with a
friend, at doggy day care, the groomer and home alone in her crate -- and she
doesn’t even wag her tail when she sees me. On the other hand, she goes nuts
over anyone else. I understand that they are new or at least different and
exciting, but I would sure like to see her little butt wiggle when I come home!

Here is Birdie with her
friends, little baby Boone and 7 month old Bella. Is this her “awkward” stage?  I remember when her head seemed too big for
her to hold up, now it seems small. And her legs are so long!

6-25-2015.JPG
1880 x 1844 - 965K
7-6-2015.JPG
1296 x 968 - 536K
7-9-2015 a.JPG
1025 x 713 - 423K
7-9-2015 b.JPG
1767 x 1617 - 583K

Comments

• Hi the4thmonkey,
    don't be too sad about your puppy "ignoring" you and "favoring" others right now.
    It all sounds familiar. Just like our own williwaw, when she was little.

Believe me, she will start wagging at you and she will love you to pieces. Right now she is just busy with exploring the world and meeting new faces.
    BT's LOVE people. You will probably experience that with her throughout her whole life.

Like we did and do with our EBT you are probably spoiling her to no end since you got her. So she does not even have any idea how the world could be any different for her than living in paradise. What should she be grateful for? Isn't that just the way the world is? :)

You are right, at the moment she looks rather "sporty" and long legged, very graceful. I am sure, if she's pure bred she'll grow into proportions eventually and also gather some mass. Maybe there's a huge chunk of dalmatian in her bloodline that's also causing her overly whorled attitude :):).
    However, the girls often tend to have smaller - but not necessarily less stubborn - heads than males even when matured. I love that the girls in EBT's also often even look kind of girly.
    I dug up a picture of Djamila at 4 mo. She looked a little more compact at that age already. But her head was and is still "girly small". Don't be fooled by the looks. Small heads do also provide enough space for great, intelligent minds. Your cutie is the best example. :)

Love your photos. Great snapshots!

mila_4months.jpg
    700 x 525 - 97K
  • Thank you for the comments and photos. Djamila is lovely.

Birdie is AKC bull terrier, so hopefully she will grow into those legs and huge feet! But she was meant to be a spayed pet, so I am not going to fret over her looks. I love her so much it just doesn't matter.

Yes, she is spoiled, but I am not letting her get away with bad behavior, either. I don’t have any puppy experience to draw on, but I think she's doing pretty well. I worry because she didn’t get an optimal start. She was fully weaned and her mother was removed from the litter when she was only a month old. I picked her up at 6.5 weeks and she was the last of the litter to go. Of course, I didn’t know that was going to happen when I picked her out and paid for her!

I have made socializing her a priority. Nearly every day she sees someone besides me and plays with another dog. Today I found out about classes being offered once a week at the dog park, so we are going to check that out. 

• From all I hear so far, you have exactly the right attitude to be successful with your BT.
    Tons of love and a firm hand, thats what they need!

Keep us posted on how you guys are doing! Looking forward to more photos. :)
  • Hello! It sounds like you and Birdie are doing great!

I found potty training pretty quick and easy with my dog. Quinn also used to "happy pee" and I would have to have her greet visitors right outside my door or take her for a potty immediately before seeing anyone. She did grow out of it by 6 months though.

My dog is also more of a smeller than a walker. Sometimes I wonder if people see me standing outside their apartments and think I'm a weirdo, but Quinn might just be out of sight sniffing one plant for 10 minutes. I usually have to drag her away. We love dog parks though! I hope you can get comfortable using them. I am always more worried about other dogs rather than my own, parks will always have bonehead owners who don't know their dogs. But overall, dog parks are great places.

Also, don't be sad about Birdie seeming to not care about you...Quinn basically ignored me in public or whenever we were around other people, and it always felt a little bad to hear other people say "she loves me best!" But what I think it is is a combination of you being the disciplinarian and you always being around. She's young and you're just not interesting. But you know kids...one day they'll grow up and realize you're the best... Quinn always comes to me for snuggles now when she is distressed, and stays near me and actually listens (!!!) in parks. She is 4 now.

You're doing great! Keep us updated. :-bd
  • Thank you! Birdie does come to me if something frightens or upsets her. And she snuggles and loves on me when no one else is around. She is just a two-timer right now and I'm really grateful that she loves other people so much and does so well with other dogs. 

We met a friend at the dog park today, but her dog doesn't play with Birdie very much, and there were no new doggies around for her to meet. But she got to run around for over an hour and then we went to the other dog park for free obedience lessons. Birdie can do already do everything at home that they taught today, but she was distracted by the other dogs and had a hard time paying attention. The class lasted an hour and I pulled her out after about 30 minutes. I probably should have stopped with 15. She got to play with another puppy in the enclosure for small dogs while the class finished up. Phone numbers were exchanged and hopefully that can turn into some play dates for her.

I really need to work with her on the leash, but I think we are going to have to do it inside. I have her committed to play dates 5 mornings a week and after that it is just too dang hot to walk outside. I will keep trying the dog parks. I just don't trust everyone else's dog. In fact, I am pretty sure that the instructor's German Shepherd would have gone after her today had they been off the leash. And there was a tiny Chihuahua in the class that was growling and lunging. I'm sure Birdie could have eaten him for lunch had he attacked. So I am just not confident letting her loose at the dog parks. Maybe once Birdie is more predictable I will feel better about it.