Skip to content

Advice for dealing with female in heat and intact male in household

Hey guys, so I was wondering if anyone had advice for living with a female in heat and a intact male? We should be getting our new girl around July 11th and she will soon be having her first heat soon after (she will be 5 months July 16th). I do not have anyone I can entrust my dog to during the heat cycle and leaving him outside night and day is not an option. I am thinking about getting him fixed but I would like to find a vet to do a vasectomy instead of neutering because I don't want my dogs personality to change and I don't want to make his insecurity worse (he's a bit shy around people) plus it's supposedly healthier. I'm not sure if any vets in our area preform that surgery but I'm looking into Oregon as well.

Comments

• Hi @LokiLostCoast I was in the exact situation with my two young dogs when I got precious I was told she was a month younger so I thought I'll have a few months to make a desion then I found out she was actually a month older than the people had said I had decided I wanted to keep both my dogs without spaying or neutering because of stuff I'd read etc I wanted to wait till they was alot older so precious is 7 months chaos is 8 his behaviour was starting to changed he'd become constant mounting of precious and she was doing the same I'd always stop it soon as my back was turned they was at it again chaos has become so sexual my concern was how destressed he would become with a female in season in the house whilst he was intact would he start peeing all over the house would one of the kids accidently let them out together etc so I decided I'd have to get one of them done precious has not yet had a season which our vets will spay before a season but not something I would be happy to do as I spayed sophie at a 1 yr and she now has incontinence being managed by medication now so I through it would be better to get my male done it's a simple op compare to a female so 2 weeks ago he got done I wish we had the choice of the other ops here .good luck on what ever u decide .
  • The female is being sold on co-own contract and will be shown and eventually bred after she's 2 years old, CH titled and passes all health checks. So spaying her is not an option. As I don't intend to breed Loki is like to get him fixed but I'm afraid that neutering would make his insecurities worse and I'm worried about the possible health issues. Not to mention loss of muscle mass etc... I really just don't want his personality to change either.
  • I totally understand these were my worry too with my boy but because of the problems I'm having with sophie I really don't want to rush Into spaying precious until she is of a mature age to iliminate health issues that can be caused by female spaying like I said I would of rather kept my male dog intact he's not a ebt I have no intentions of breeding either dogs so for me it's different but couldn't take the chance of one dog getting to the other by accident if it was just me and the dogs there would have been no problem I'm sure I could of managed it but with kids in the house it's different I have a 18 yr old who deals with the dogs when I'm out I couldn't take the risk .it's awfull tge worry we now have when it comes to spaying a dog I've always had my dogs fixed but after watching a link on here about it it made me change my mind .
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    When I have a female in heat that is not going to be bred I always have a diaper on her unless she is outside of course at which time she is not left out with a male. While inside she is always watched and supervised and that diaper stays on. I would not allow your two Bullies to be left together unattended no matter what the circumstances were. The heat cycle isn't for that long of a period that I don't find it to be a burden nor would I consider it a reason for desexing the male.

My opinion is that neutering and spaying should be done when medical reasons warrant it not for the convenience of the owner. Vets may tell you it's healthy for a dog to have them neutered or spayed but recent studies prove otherwise.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yeah that's why I was trying to find a vet who could perform a vasectomy instead. I know there are vets that do it I just don't think there are any in the area. And since they don't actually remove the testies the dog still gets testosterone and other hormones. I wish more vets were trained on performing the surgery. There's supposedly a vet in Corvallis Oregon that can do it but that's a 12 hour drive round trip. And I'm not worried so much about keeping them apart but more Loki barking or howling his head off if he's outside lol
  • I'd spoke to my vet about him being fixed as I'd said I didn't want to do it at his age let him become more mature then do it but I' had noticed a major change in him humping everything a every dog he could come across I started worrying about if a female was in heat would he run off as people do take there dogs off lead when in heat where I live I actually had a argument with someone over it . My vet told me how distressed he would get being in the same house with a female on heat that it would drive him mad him or her having to locked away from each other as I'd have to rotate them to keep them apart I really didn't want him to be put in this situation to cause him distress and that was what made me get him fixed . The howling and wining did come up also he would urinate everywhere too I've always had my dogs fixed what ever sex at some point .
  • edited July 2015

We have decided not to have Djamila fixed for the reasons you’ve mentioned, Steve.
    While it will not change our minds due to spaying, I have to say we really have a hard time, telling when Djamila is getting into heat.

We’ve already spent some time on research - only to find out that cycles can be tremendously different in bitches.
    So far at her young age Djamila is anything but regular. At least that’s how it seems to me. She first came into heat at the age of about 9 months, which is not unusual for all I know.

I had some old information about dogs getting into heat about every six months and we were waiting for it to happen again six months later. But it didn’t.
    The next cycle followed eight months after the first one.

Right now we are waiting for the next one and already thought she was ready for it a few weeks ago.
    While we have noticed one or two drops of blood in the house and also thought her vulva looked swollen at some time, no other signs of heat have occurred in the meantime. Especially no more blood. Meanwhile we are not even really sure, if we were right about our observation with the swollen vulva.

We are now getting closer to the next eight months threshold. And I’m wondering, if she will be getting into heat then.
    With Fancy we were not able to gather experience on this after she was three years old (and she was already 1 yr. old when we got her), because at 3 yrs. she had a terrible womb infection that almost cost her her life. Back then everything had to be removed to save her. So she was spayed from that time on for medical reasons.

Once we notice that Djamila is in heat, we put diapers on her until we no longer find signs of blood. This is easy and perfectly manageable. So far she has accepted the diaper.

The problem is to actually recognize the signs of the fertile state. Which seems to be even harder, because to my knowledge that’s a stage when the bitches usually don’t loose blood.
    Once bleeding sets in, fertility is over. That’s how I know it.

At the moment it’s fairly difficult to do the right thing when you’re not yet familiar with the cycles of the bitch or she is not really regular. If we had male dogs in the house, I'd probably have nightmares. :)

I definitely don’t want to breed Djamila. And currently we have skipped the dog park for quite a while now, just to make sure we will not run into trouble with getting our dog pregnant by accident.

I am entertaining her in our yard and pool and she is perfectly happy with it.
    But I’d love to keep up with the socialization, keep her used to be around other dogs, even if she doesn’t want to play with them. But it’s actually a little hard to do that at the moment.

You have several bitches living together with males. How can you tell for every single one, when exactly it’s time to put on the diaper?

Sorry, that I posted this here. I realize now, I should probably have opened a new discussion for my question. But somehow it was triggered by this discussion here and fits the topic. Please move it, if you think its better dealt with in a separate discussion.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Many people have the same questions and concerns when it comes to identifying when their female is susceptible to becoming impregnated. Unless people have experience with breeding and testing for ovulation the only means of gaining knowledge on this subject is through research online but that can often lead to many different answers and confusion.

The mistake many people make is thinking that once their dog goes into heat and starts bleeding she is ready to start breeding or is in danger of becoming pregnant. However, what many don't realize is that a dog in heat goes through many stages during her estrus cycle. During the initial stages when the female is bleeding she would not be fertile or susceptible to be bred. This is normally the stage other (inexperienced) breeders call me looking for advice and asking why their female wants to fight the stud when they try and breed the two dogs.

Once the bleeding subsides you may note a light pinkish fluid vice normal dark blood coming from the vulva. At this stage the vulva will be enlarged and the female will start coming into ovulation which will be the time frame she will be wanting to breed. Unfortunately many people think that since their female stopped bleeding they are no longer in heat which is far from being true. This is probably why there are many "accidental" pregnancies.

Ovulation on most females only lasts for about five or six days. During this time the female will often be flagging (turning her butt to male dogs and putting her tail to the side) and also eagerly playing and jumping around male dogs in attempt to excite them. She may also mount a male dog in the event he is not showing dominance or trying to breed with her.

The difficulty in explaining when a female is most fertile is the fact that time frames vary for every female and each female can often act in different ways. I will admit it does take some experience in order to make a good assessment as to when a female is ovulating unless the owner / breeder is actually testing for ovulation in order to ensure accuracy is accomplished.

Many male dogs will bother and follow around a female throughout their entire estrus cycle if they are left together. The male might mount the female during the early stages but this doesn't mean they are ready to breed because this is all normal behavior for the male dog to show dominance and to send a message to her that he is wanting to breed to her. Females will often get bothered by a persistent stud during her initial estrus cycle and with some dogs this can lead into a fight. A female Bull Terrier will rarely stand still for a male that mounts her unless she is in fact ovulating.

There is actually so much detail I could go into when it comes to breeding but I don't wish to bore you or confuse you. The important factor is knowing that your female will come into estrus and bleed for approximately 7-10 days. After that period is when you really need to be careful with her. You might even notice that if you scratch her lower back she'll most likely start flagging out of habit. Many females will become restless and always looking for an excuse to go outside. Many owners that know there dog very well know when their females behavior is normal and when it's not. Pay attention to her character and each time she goes into heat you'll soon be able to tell when your female is truly ovulating.

However, just like everyone will say, "It's best to keep all males away from a female in heat for at least 3 weeks." Once the vulva goes back to normal size and her behavior is back to normal you will know that her estrus cycle is over.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Hello Steve,
    thank you for your comprehensive information.

I found some valuable hints to look for in Djamila and some more things to look up on the internet.
    I think it will take us some more time to figure out Djamila's exact cycle. But it's probably just a matter of time.
    Very good to know that blood does not necessarily indicate the end of her estrus cycle. That's actually something I was a little confused about, because I found ambiguous information on the internet.