Skip to content

Breaking up A Fight

edited January 2012 in General
Accidents can and will happen. As careful as we can be there can always be a quarrel over something. The bull terrier has a tendency to be possessive, often times over "high value" items such as treats, bones, toys, and even, US! Knowing the correct and SAFE way to break up a fight is necessary for every bull terrier owner to know. Being around bull terriers in large amounts, I have had the unfortunate task of breaking up some sometimes severe dog fights. Bull terriers are so strong and fast many people might just panic without knowing how to handle the situation. Sometimes a fight might just be a bunch of noise and snapping and the dogs jumping around each other, be very careful as we are only human and can often take offense to being bitten on accident by our own beloved bully. Often times there are "waning signs" that can be seen, but sometimes it can happen so fast that no body even knows what happened, in this case when a fight may already be in action, follow these simple rules:
  • Don't Panic
  • Stop and see things clearly
  • Never reach your hand in on a fight without the confidence that you have the right timing that is safe
  • ALWAYS keep a collar on your dogs, especially anytime you have more than one dog in the area, without a collar on the dog, it will make separation much much harder
  • Carefully pick a time to grab each dog by there collar, this will be much much harder if your alone, if you have a leash attach it quickly and try to tie the dog to the nearest object. If with another person, quickly shot who your grabbing and have the other person grab the collar of the remaining dog.
  • If the dogs are locked on to each other, hold them tight around the neck as still as possible to avoid more thrashing, if possible lift both dogs strait off the ground, the lack of traction will help keep them from thrashing each other more, often times you just have to sit there and hold them as still and tight as possible until the dogs let each other go.
Some people say, don't separate the dogs right away as they wont learn anything, some say you can physically choke a dog off of another dog, I don't have experience with that, but some people can do it safely. There are ways to help break up a fight more successfully if you have the right tools near you. A "break stick" is a tool designed by dog fighters to break up dog fights, but, this tool can be used by the average dog owner with bully breeds. Many people who obviously don't participate in dog fights own a couple of these including myself, used correctly it can be a very effective tool. A break stick is a plastic or wooden wedge with a dull point designed to be lodged in the side of the dogs mouth, near the back, you put it between the teeth when one dog has a hold on another, twist the break stick to pry the mouth open. This may not always work if the space is not there, but it can work, I have never used mine before.
I also have heard spraying water on the dogs will work, I've tried this, and it only stopped the fighting for a few seconds, and I think they just enjoyed the cool down, so for bullies, it might not take the edge off quiet enough.
Another friend told me about pouring ammonia and water on a towel and keeping it in a plastic bag to have near by, and that if a fight breaks out, to throw it over there head and they wont be able to see or breath very well and it can stop the fight.

Never EVER punch, kick, or hit a bull terrier in a fight, this WILL NOT WORK, I have seen mace designed for dogs FAIL in an attempt to stop a fight. Attempting to beat one dog off of another will just add fuel to the fire. I don't know how well human mace, tazers, or cattle prods will affect the out come of the fight.  I would be more afraid of doing more damage to the dogs than what they will do the fight itself. Doing things like this may just add more damage in the end.

Never assume your dog's will never get into a fight, even the best of friends, siblings, mating pairs can get into a fight. I always recommend never leaving dogs alone unsupervised, as I have seen this mistake leading to dead dogs. It only takes one mistake, even if there has never been a problem before, you don't want to NOT be there if that one time does occur.

An accidental fight story

I was at the dog park letting the dogs play in a pen by themselves since Scarlett and Bowzer were engaged in a game of tug of war, which they have done many times without problems. This day Scarlett was feeling more pushy and high strung than normal and as I noticed this I was preparing to break it up, as Scarlett's mouth got closer to Bowzer's on the rope, she slipped, and went in to get a different grip and grabbed a small piece of Bowzer's lip which led to an immediate fight. They were jumping all over each other and I started to reach in and realized I would have gotten bit, I waited until one dog grabbed the other by the face and I grabbed one collar, and than the other dogs collar and held them up on there hind legs. They let go of each other and I stood there holding them both by the collar and said "HEY!! Thats enough!!!" They were looking at each other and than they turned there heads away from each other, I let them go, and they walked away without further problems. This lasted a very short time and nothing more than a few scratches, but still no one wants to see the own dogs get into a fight. Fighting within my own pack is a very rare occurrence as I do everything I can to prevent fights, feeding in kennels, bones in kennels, and I always supervise them at all times. I learn what triggers each one of my dogs may have, and pay close attention to the possible warning signs.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited April 2012

Danielle,

Well written. That's good information.

There's not too many things more stressful than seeing two dogs fighting knowing they can inflict a lot of damage to each in a quick period of time. Breaking up a fight between two Bull Terriers or similar breed of dog can be very dangerous especially when there's only one person to break the fight up.

Knock on wood; we haven't experienced a dog fight in over 5 years. However, as you explained, there's always the chance two dogs could become aggressive with each other on a rare occasion.

What's always worried me has been the thought of two of my dogs mysteriously ending up in a fight when I wasn't home to break it up and my 5', 105 lbs wife is there in a panic trying to break up two 70lbs male bull terriers. For this reason alone I ensure I have an appropriate stun button available to be used in case of an emergency like this. Many will disagree with the use of any sort of stun equipment saying it would be inhumane or cause damage to the dog. In all actuality the opposite is true. I think we've all seen videos on law enforcement officers using stun guns on people who are out of control and the immediate control a stud gun produces when employed on an individual. The stun itself causes no ill effect but definitely solves the problem. The same goes for its use during a dog fight. The loud electrical snap of a stun button is often enough to deter a dog from any negative behavior without even touching the dog.

Two bull terriers locked jaw to jaw in a fight is extremely difficult to separate with just one person. Often they will not release the bite on another dog regardless if you lift them by the collar or attempt to roll barrel them apart by their hind legs. It's during a fight like this the use of a stun baton can be the difference between serious injury due to an aggressive fight and an immediate stop to the fight resulting in far less injury with minimal risks to the owner breaking up the fight. I would never suggest my wife or kids breaking up a dog fight by themselves. However, the stud baton provides reassurance that if a fight needs to be broken up it can be done safely and effectively with one person without hitting or beating the dogs and causing further injury.

About 5 years ago we had two male bull terriers get into a heated fight for reasons unknown. Both dogs were locked by the jaw and thrashing causing immediate injury to each other. The use of the stun baton broke the fight up within seconds and caused no harm to either dog. However, every time they see the batton or hear the crack of the batton the shy away from it with knowledge of its effect.

The stun baton costs $32 which, in my oppinion, is well worth the investment and security knowing if ever an incident warrants its use it will prove to be effective by minimizing injury and retaining safety for the owner.

If you're a strong adult powerful enough to break up a fight between two Bull Terriers high on adrenalin and aggression you may have the capabilities to break up a dog fight but for many women and teenage kids left a lone during a dog fight the use of a $32 stun baton could be the difference between a dead dog and a fight broken up immediately.

Here's a link to a baton recomended for emergency situations:

http://www.stungunscheaper.com/_Rechargeable_Streetwise_800,000_Volt_Stun_Baton_wzzzHolster.php?ref=stbtns

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you for that information!! I feel more comfortable with hearing that, and I will definitely look into getting one now knowing its okay, I just never had experience with one and wasn't sure about it, but with the confidence of another great breeder I feel good about it! 
  • I will grab for the aggressor and pull front feet all feet if I can up off the ground and with my body weight twist them off each other I have never had one not let go if you pull up and not out first. I have always been able to break it up before it got real heated though. Not a pretty sight:( this however is probly not real safe as your puting yourself in harms way, however myself I am going in cause I will not let a fight continue and have a dog chewed up in front of me! I like the Baton idea!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • This is terrible information. I have two bull terriers that fight constantly over toys and such and we have never had to use this stick you speak of or a stun gun. Where do the even sell these sticks?? Dog fighting is illegal.  My advice is: if you cannot stop your terriers from fighting without resorting to these violent measures you should only have one bull terrier at a time. you can simply throw a towel (NOT doused in poison!) over one or both of them or thow a treat in a diffent direction and step between them.  You are all idiots.
  • I am going to respond to this when I get home from work. First of all, my bull terriers dont fight constantly, its extremely extremely rare, so sounds like you definitely have a problem and should stick to one bull terrier!   I havent even come close to an incident in over 2 years.
    Jennifer Napier (JMN):

I had to chuckle a little when I read your advice to throw a towel over one or both dogs to stop the the fight or better yet throw a treat in the opposite direction so they'll decide to stop fighting and begin snacking on a scuby snack. =))

I hope nobody even tries to consider this as a true means of breaking up a fight between two Bull Terriers who are aggressively engaged in a fight. Bull Terriers that are in the midst of a fight will fight hard and fierce with more power than imaginable. A towel thrown over them wont do squat and they'd never notice you throwing a snack to the side of them fighting nor would they end a fight for a snack. For those that have ever had to break up a serious fight between two Bull Terriers I'm sure they can contest to the difficulties in separating the two dogs who are focused on doing massive harm to each other. It's a difficult situation to break up a dog fight and one in which many women would not be able to have the physical strength to handle.

Luckily it's been many years that I've even seen a fight between two Bull Terriers. I guess I'm pretty fortunate that my Bull Terriers have wonderful temperaments and get along great. Jennifer, it saddens me to here your two Bull Terriers fight constantly. It sounds like they are lacking some much needed training. However, if I were to beleive your two bullies fought constantly I would have to say they have it out for each other and have developed some serious aggression problems. One fight between two Bull Terriers lasting 60 seconds can cause serious and permentant injury. I can only imagine the facial scars and damage inflicted on your bullies who you've explained fight "constantly." I feel bad for them not just because they are having to live in a stressful environment where aggression is part of their daily life but also the fact that they are being raised by an owner that fails to train them appropriately.

Maybe you could find a loving family that's also from Campbell, California that would be willing to adopt one of your fighting dogs. I think seperating them would be a great idea since you can't dedicate yourself to train them to get along as they should.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I think maybe you missunderstood what it is were trying to do with these tools, prevent harm for both the dogs and ourselves. This forum is for bull terrier enthusiasts because we love them not because we fight them. However fights do tend to happen on rare ocassion for us and we want to be able to protect ourselves as well as the dogs we love. I dont believe you have witness a true fight other than a snarl or growl because you would certainly not have taken what was discussed out of content if you had... READ IT AGAIN CAREFULLY THIS TIME!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • I dont think this person has witnessed a real fight between two bull terriers that grab on and don't let go. When it does happen, I sure hope it's not between your dogs, because you will be clueless on how to open the jaws of a powerful dog.

At my last bull terrier gathering there were over 25 dogs in one area. Two males grabbed each other by the face and would not let go. Thank goodness I was there and I had a break stick handy, where I was able to hand it to the owner so he could wedge it between the teeth, turn it, and release the bite.

Some people rescue bull terriers and in that case, and it was someone involved in rescue who told me of the unique and extreme ways of breaking up fights. This came from someone who often had 2-3 dogs not from their training and raising and unknown pasts in their home, accidents are bound to happen.

I am not proud to admit that I have broken up anywhere from 20-25 bull terrier dog fights since being involved in the breed. Several of these were from rescue dogs I have taken in, friends bull terriers over at my house, dog parks, ect. Shit happens, but the best prevention is knowing your dog, and knowing how to end it as quickly and as safely as possible. Some people think screaming, kicking, hitting will break up a dog fight but I can attest to this, in a real bull terrier dog fight, all of those are useless.

For someone to claim their dogs fight constantly is really very sad. I have had bull terriers housed in large numbers for several years, including up to 6-7 at one time under the same roof and not once can I say I had 'constant' fights. I had the rarity of fights with my dogs between OUTSIDE dogs of the household, of those I did not raise myself. For my dogs that I have raised the chances of fights were so slim its ridiculous. In over 5 years of owning bull terriers, my own bull terriers have only been in fights less than 4 times, and only one time did I have to intervene seriously. It has everything to do with how my dogs are raised and how there is a zero tolerance policy for anything remotely close to aggression in my house.

So before you come on here and call us idiots, please reread what you posted, because you don't seem like you should be talking. Name calling will not be tolerated on this forum and we will not hesitate to delete you due to trolling.

• BAHAHAHA!!! throw a towel over them? yeh, because THAT will stop a dog trying to killing another one

"oh darn! i cant do nothing with a towel on mah head! shoot"

yeh bull breeds were bred to grab and hold while shaking to do the most damage to the opponant wether it was a rodent, another dog or a bull. if they could be so easily detirerd they would not have been good for the job originally intended for.

• The person is responding to my comment about hoe someone told me that a towel drenched in ammonia thrown over dogs in a fight will stop them because the ammonia disorientates them.
    Here's a great document on "How to Breakup a Dog Fight."

pdf
    pdf
    howtobreakupdogfight.pdf
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Eh, Im not sure that I really agree with all that, not to mention, if a fight breaks up and no one else is there to help you, what do you do? Call your friend to come help? Personally I would not grab a dog by its back legs in a dog fight, mainly because i wouldn't want to pull a leg out of place or cause further harm. Let me show you a good way to break up pit bulls....I find it to be much better advice than grabbing by the legs and running in cirlces...

i cant find the video but it was between two pit bulls from a pit bull training facility, they were both straddled over the dogs holding their heads flat on the ground so they could not keep moving, they still had a hold of each other and you  can hear one lady say 'we need a break stick' because that is the best way to release the jaws of dogs. One guy did 'finger' the dog in the anus because that is also another technique to get dogs to release.

I absolutely will never ever PULL dogs apart, if latched on, what do you think that will do? Ding ding ding, tear the skin SOME MORE and do more damage, immobilize the dogs, pick them up, straddle them, but if you pull, skin will tear and i assure you will hear the dog scream more in pain.

Worst comes to worse, loop a leash around the dogs necks and hang them, sounds bad i know, but as they start to gag, they will let go! 
  • and when using the leash technique make sure its at the top of the neck, right behind the ears, its quick and effective.
  • STEve MAYBE U SHLD POST THIS FOR NEW OWNERS THIS HELPED ME TREMENDOUSL . CAUSE I ALWAYS SAID IM NOT STICKING MY HANDS NEAR A BULL N FIGHT MODE MISS MADE MY NAIL FALL OFF that was my fault I stook my finger n her mouth
    Oh, you dug up an old topic here from 2 years ago. You must have been digging through all kinds of discussions from the past. :)

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Used the chocke technic some time ago in a fight between mine and other EBT, and worked very well + a vigorous word or the typical "SHHHTT", worked. They were playing, the other EBT was a bit punk mine tried to run away and it happen.
    They were growling and going on spins, I waited for them to bite each other and stop, grab the collar of mine, pulled him up, while he was grabbing the cheeck of the other, the other kid didn't know what to do and IDK what he did but his dog was trying to bite me and my dog, so I just lowered mine again (legs up, so the other punk didn't bite his paws and head down, so mine could defend us), he bite the top of the head of the other, and I told the kid to grab the collar of his dog, and pull up when I pull up mine, I told mine to "LEAVE" and they were out, we put the two lay down, next to each other, closer and closer and til this day they get along very well, eventhough they never played again.

A classic jiu-jitsu choke (you don't need to even put asleep, if you never done this, it's better to leave it aside) can work well, but you have to be sure that the other dog is firmly grabbed, as you will have to be very close to their heads and let your dog know that is you, not a stranger.
  • Oh, you dug up an old topic here from 2 years ago. You must have been digging through all kinds of discussions from the past. :)

Oh YEA THAT WAS MY WEEKEND READING. IVE ALMOST READ ALL DISCUSSION. AND I WAS SO RELIEVED ABOUT THE SNAKE BITES cause I've been worried to death if miss ever got bit THAT IVE BEEN TRYING to GET ANTIVENOM AT MY VETS OFFICE.
    BUT ID FEEL SORRY FOR THE WORLD if anything happened to my miss I CLDNT IMAGINE I KNOW ID CRY FOR A YEAR OR SO
    YEA some of those techniques seem like a wrong choice but I saw a video that u can use a belt or leash and gently choke the dog off dad said to pour water in their nose and it will make them release.
    I take pics of miss teeth CAUSE IM PROUD OF HER PEARLY WHITES I brush them. Several times a week
    IVE NEVER LOVED ANY DOG LIKE I DO MY BULL and dad wanted one but I told him he CLDNT leave it outside BUT he could I JUST GET CARRIED AWAY WITH DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT that YEA I went overboard on it THAT IT WAS GOOD FOR MISS but I'm lightning up a bit AND I JUMPED MY HUBBYS BUTT FOR THROWING BREAD OUT FOR THR BIRDS AND NEIGHBORS DOGS which resulted in Bianca having to take ZRYTEC. Which I finally had to explain to him HES COSTING MY DAD ALOT OF $ N VET BILLS THAT CLD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED