Skip to content

Bald patch

I have woke up this morning to let my 8 month old ebt out of his crate, he is new to a crate.
I have had to board the outside of the crate as he was pulling any cover through it and shredding it, but this morning when iv let him out for the toilet and to say morning, iv noticed his fur on the top of his head has started to wear away and thinning like hes going bold...
Does anyone know why this is ?
As i have caught him trying to dig in there once.

Comments

• My bully Loki has it too and I've only just found out what it is. They call it "stud tail"as a majority of the time it appears at the base of the dogs tail. Loki did have it on his tail at one time but it cleared up and now he has it on the top of his head. I was told on a Facebook forum that it's very common in bull terriers and that its glands that are clogged. I've been told that cleansing the area helps and also applying moisturizer such as coconut oil. I'm sure others on this forum might have other tricks but I'll be trying coconut oil when I get home in a few days.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    There are two scent glands on a dog; one is on the base of their tail and the other is on the center of their head. It is very common to see a younger Bull Terrier with a bald spot about the size of a dime on the center of their head. The same goes for the spot on the base of their tail which is what LokiLostCoast is referring to as "Stud Tail."
    Sometimes the gland can be overactive during adolescent stages and start crusting and hardening the skin in one of the scent gland areas or even both. If you feel the spot on his head where his skin is balding you may notice that it feels hard and dry. It's kind of like he had a few drops of glue on his head and the fur is coming off.
    You can try rubbing some bag balm on it but it probably won't help much. I've noticed since I've started using NuVet supplement none of my Bullies have experienced the bald spots from their musk glands. I would recommend providing your Bullie a good supplement like Nuvet because it has many health benefits.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com