Skip to content

cryptorchid surgery

choobachooba Michigan / Missouri
Chooba was fixed the Monday b4 thanksgiving.  One of the fellas was cryptorchid.  So he required 2 incisions.
He has sutures both internally and externally.  The vet said keep him calm for the next 2 weeks and have him wear a KONG collar.
:|
really ?

First, the collar.  Every time he wears it, he goes straight to physco mode,
and with all the runnin, jumpin,spinning, shaking, death roles and hucklbutting that immediately follows, he bleeds a little from the upper egg hunt incision.  Crating him only limits the amount of space covered from the above. 
This has happened 3-4 times since I brought him home the following tuesday.  I have called 2 different vets (separate from my regular) and both have said a little bleeding under these circumstances would be expected.  Its not alot of blood and it does stop bleeding after a few minutes, but its enough that it gets your attention. 
I brought him back to the original vet today, saturday, and they echoed the same thing.
All the experts have been saying just keep him calm.  This is not easy to do with not only an EBT, but one that is used to multiple mile walks daily, wrestling, ect.

I am reserved to feeding him 50mg of diphenhydramine every 8 hrs ( which is per instructions from 2 vets, but seems like alot),  and still having the same intermittent issues when he isnt stoned.  I have to return to work tuesday and am looking for any suggestions when he will no longer be supervised 24/7. 
The only thing I know for sure is unsupervised collar wearing does not seem to be a good idea.

Comments

• As someone who had to deal with a 10 month old sentenced to crate rest due to a broken leg, I know how you're feeling...be glad it's not 9 weeks of no playing #:-S

You've got to stick to it though. It's going to be frustrating for both human and dog, but that's going to give him his best recovery. When you're not home, it's definitely going to have to be crate time for him. Do you think he might wear a diaper? Maybe instead of a collar you could cover the incision site some other way. However, if your bully is like mine, she can't even reach back there...not flexible enough and too much muscle I guess. ;) She couldn't reach her belly when she was spayed!