Skip to content

How can I make my dog more comfortable in his kennel while I'm at work?

edited February 2013 in General
I work a 8-5pm job, my boyfriend is also gone during the day and we are ganna have to leave our new pup home alone during the day.He will be in a kennel inside during the day so how can i make him feel more comfortanle while we are both gone.Any suggestions??

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited February 2013
    That's way too long to leave a Bull Terrier in a kennel during the day. He needs to have some area to walk around and play. Is there any way you could devote one room for him to stay in that's free from him getting into mischief or becoming destructive? He'd be better off in an outside kennel run than stuck in a kennel for 9+ hours during the day. A Bull Terrier left alone for that long (especially in a kennel) can easily develop compulsive disorders. The stress alone could have a negative effect on him. By the time you get home from work and let him out of his kennel he's going to be so wound up that he'll take hours to settle down. Often Bullies that are pent up for prolonged periods of time start tail chasing or developing negative character and temperament flaws.

My recommendation would be to find a place for him to stay where he can at least run around and exert some energy, use the bathroom when he needs to, drink water at leisure, and simply amuse himself during the times he's by himself.

Do you put him back in the kennel at night when you go to sleep?

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • i agree-thats too long for a young bully to be cooped up! these are HIGH energy dogs-keeping them sitting still for even 6 hours a day wont do!

if you can, i would reccomend trying to find somone to come over to take you pup for a 2 hour walk or play session, maybe a trustful neighbor,relative or close freind? maybe hire a dog walker, if you work close enough to home maybe have you and your BF come home on break/lunch to take your pup for a quick walk-or play session.

• @ BulliesofNC thanks for your response.I dont have the dog yet.We are picking him up on Tuesday.I could leave him outside in the kennel.We have a real big backyard ,i agree it would be best for him to spend out there during the day,maybe even let him run free and buy one of those covered kennels and leave the kennel door open so he can lay and be warm.What do you think?
    @xchairity_casex thanks for your response.Fortunetly we do have my boyfriends aunt who lives next door:) I'm hoping she can come check on him at least once a day,at least while hes still young.
  • I wouldnt leave a puppy to the whole back yard, too many things for him to get hurt on, eat ect. You can purchase a kennel run to put him in, put it together, put it under something covered and on cement preferably so that he can not eat plants, sticks ect and put toys, a kennel a, bed ect in it. Otherwise get a play pen and put it in the garage, or on tile in your house, because he will make a mess while your gone. Don't leave him outside unless the weather is really nice, otherwise a garage or inside.
  • edited February 2013
    My bullie puppy stays in his crate while me and my girlfriend are at work. We leave the tv on for him where he can watch if he wants. I usually from about 10-4/5 every week day. When I get home the first thing we do is go out for about 20 minutes and let him use the bathroom and walk around and wake up (he's always asleep when I get home). Then we come back in and I feed him and then we take a walk for about 45mins to 1hr. He doesn't seem to mind his crate at all.He also sleeps in it and we rarely hear a peep out of him. We make sure that when he's awake we are giving lots of attention, throwing his ball or working on tricks. 

• Thanks alot for all your feedback, this is very useful advice:)
  • edited May 2013
    Hello this is Trent from Blitzkrieg Bullies, I found a amazing dog bed for Bullies. They are guaranteed for 90 days but I use them and have'nt had any problems and my Bullies love them. The website is called k9 ballistics.com
    "Blitzkrieg Bullies" - Alexander, AR
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Those "Tough Beds" look great. Unfortunately they are currently out of stock on their standard beds. They must be on demand.  :-??
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • @Trent that bed sounds nice
    @bulliesofNC wow that sucks i would have got one..gotta keep me eye out for one