Skip to content

We need help with Claxxton's back. It won't heal.

We are having a problem with sand flea's.We took Claxxton to the Vet three days ago.  She gave him a steroid shot and put him on an antibiotic.  He is also on two benadryl a day.  I have treated our home as well as the yard, although what I am using in the yard does not seem to be doing the job.  So, when I bring him in I sit & pic the flea's off of him. (There are only a few.)   I have been rubbing Bag Balm on him once a day, but can't seem to get the back just above the tail to heal.  He had bumps all over him, including his face.  That has all cleared up.  Can anyone here suggest something I can put on his back that will clear this up?
IMG_3860.JPG
1600 x 1200 - 699K

Comments

• Hey Diane. Have u tried plain old hydrocortisone cream under 3 $ a tube. I put it on miss. When she gets those darn flea bite . Give it a try. Put it on at least three tines a day
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Those darn sand fleas are getting the better of him. I can imagine how much stress it's causing too because you can tell that he's doing everything possible to relieve the itching by rolling around on his back which looks like how he caused the scab to form at the root of his tail. Unfortunately this spot will now become even more enticing for the flea and other pests.

There are many products that will releive the itching and help him heal. However, unless he's kept away from the sand fleas he's going to be prone to constant breakouts. You're going to have to come up with something safe for him that repels these sand fleas so they're causing skin problems. I've heard many people have success with natural cedar oils which are known for repelling fleas and other insects. It's something you may want to think about if Claxxton is spending a lot of time outdoors. For now though, I'd limit his outside activity until you can get his rash under control. The last thing you need is for Claxxton to become very discomforted and stressed due to the irritation and itchy. That type of stress will only work against you while you're making efforts to heal him.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks Steve.  I've had several suggestions for the rash.  I am cleaning daily and applying Bacitracin Cream.  That seems to be helping.  House is clear of flea's unless brought in from outside.  Claxxton is a indoor dog.  Both dogs are on Benedryl daily for itching.  I'm looking for a good liquid flea repellant for the yard.  What I'm using is not working.  I have put Claxxton on plain yogart, as well as looking for a good allergy recommended food.  (ie:  Acana or Origen.)