Skip to content

How to handle old injury?

Hi all, didn't see another thread quite like this, point me somewhere if there is one.

Quinn has had pretty consistent troubles with one of her front legs/shoulders, pretty much as long as I can remember. Let's say for at least a year. I'm not sure how it was originally injured (this is not her broken leg) but usually I would only see her limp on her front leg after a long playtime (she would rest afterward, then once she started moving again she would limp). After moving around a bit, she seemed to go back to normal - and of course, if something excited her, nothing hurts at all! :^o I had always just put it down to her being overly vigorous, as they tend to be. When she fetches, she will often stop by putting her feet straight in front of her as brakes, sliding a bit. Recently though I've noticed her limp a lot more frequently, even when we haven't played much. This week we were at the beach and the only exercise she had was walks on the beach each morning and up the street in the evening (she would have ingested too much sand if we had played fetch). She limped nearly every night we were down there.

It's her front right. I've checked nails and pads, nothing cracked or broken. I'm not sure if it's shoulder or not, but I'm not sure what else could be hurting (no kneecaps in there). She's only 3 years old, wouldn't expect arthritis to set in. I have rested her before for a period of days, but usually the next playtime she will limp again. I don't want her on a cocktail of medicines. I also don't want to pay $50 for a check up for them to tell me it's a sprain and send us home with an anti-inflammatory...that will help for like 2 seconds.

Anyone had anything similar? Suggestions of what it could be (heredity things, bull terrier things)? Home remedies? Want to do everything I personally can do before doing anything exploratory. Thanks, all.

IMG_0379.JPG
3648 x 2736 - 3M

Comments

• I can't offer any specific advice, but walking on beach sand is more strenuous than walking on pavement. Maybe it was just more aggravated than usual?
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Sounds like she's got some pain still from an old injury that may not have healed correctly. It could be that their is still some problems with the muscles, ligaments, or bone itself. She isn't too young for arthritis either which can evolve from a past injury. It's impossible to guess as to the cause of her continued issue with her leg without having a real good x-ray. Unfortunately it will only go one of two ways for her - (1) it will heal in due time and have no lasting effect or (2) worsen as she gets older because of the degree of injury, how it healed, or formulation of arthritis in the area effected. Yes, it could be hereditary but usually with joint problems or arthritis the symptoms are bilateral. Is there any swelling on her one leg that's notably more than the other side? 

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • It's possible the beach could have aggravated it. She is perfectly normal today, but we didn't play at all yesterday.
    No notable swelling in her right front leg. The picture above is from vacation and gives only a decent look at both shoulders, but they look normal. I just wonder if there's anything I can do at all? Sometimes I won't see her limp for a while, then it'll come back up again, so crate rest may be ineffective. An x-ray may be in her future if it becomes as frequent as it did while we were on vacation. Or maybe I'll have to hire her own personal masseuse. :)