Skip to content

bully front k9s getting dull

hey, yall.  my bully is only 2 years and his 4 big k9s are dull on top.  any ideas? it cant be from sticks could it? maybe just his jaw bite/structure?  any way to make the points come back at all?

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Could we see pictures? :-?
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • does he play with or chew on tennis balls? The tennis balls people use have a glue in them that is notorious for wearing down the teeth in dogs. Use only rubber ones made for dogs like the chuck-it brand.
  • nope. never tennis balls really. maybe once in his life. he's more of a stick and jolly ball kinda dog.  mostly sticks.  he never chews rocks or and metal...thank god haha
  • i dont have a camera but ill borrow one and show ya at some point
    If his teeth are worn down he's got to be chewing on something constantly or snapped the tips off his canine's doing something he shouldn't have.

Tug of rope?

Hanging/Swinging on a rope?

Biting on his kennel door?

Biting on his food bowl?

If it's his canines it wouldn't be from chewing but something he's doing by biting or pulling.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • the bottoms are flat.  he is very fierce with chewing on sticks and so forth.  i think thats where he gets a lot of his plaque from as well. plum and cherry wood all over my yard.  must be they way he goes about it. thanks for the input.   here are some photos
    0205131136.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 533K
    0205131137.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 451K
    His canines look like they were snapped or broken off. This can happen from too much rough housing via tug of war with a rope or hanging and swinging from a rope. Often if the dog doesn't have a good bite on a rope he still won't let go even if he's only holding on by one canine.

Looking at his teeth and gums he looks like a young dog. I just think he plays hard and the very tips of his canines broke off.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • he does play hard...very hard.  just want him to get his exercise.  he loves tearing trees down and hanging from branches.  i didnt think this would harm his teeth. i just thought that was normal bully play.   he is really young. he just turned 2 years less than a couple weeks ago. are they permanently dull now or do you think they will define points again?  any pointers? thank ya
    Well the tips of his canines won't grow back. However, it only appears as though he broke just the very tips off which won't effect him in any way. Right now it's just an appearance factor and I'm sure he doesn't mind a bit. There are people who specialize in doing dentistry to dogs and other animals. However, if you were to have someone repair his canine's they'd never be as strong as natural teeth and as rough as he plays the tooth repairs would must likely not hold up. By the looks of his canines I kind of figured he was one that enjoyed hanging from ropes or branches. It seems as though canines are more suseptible to break when they are young. Often when I see a broken canine it's usually from playing too hard during a tug of war competition between the owner and young dog. Your dogs' canines aren't all that bad and I wouldn't worry too much about it now because there really isn't anything that can be done about it and it isn't any form of health concern.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • cool good to know. i just didnt want them to rot out like most humans when they break a tooth. its only like 2 or 3 mm of tooth thats missing...if that.   but for future reference i should wait until the dog is older to rough house with? bro has been a tree slayer sence he was the size of chicken nugget.  maybe i will wait it out next time.   i live way out on the western tip of washington state. there are only 2 other bullies on this  great peninsula. so all the information i get is on this forum is great. thank you

Ya, you have to go easy with them for a while while they are still pups. Even with new adult canins growing in they can damaged quickly while rough housing and a young Bullie still in his puppy stages has no concept of when enough is enough and will keep going without any care of hurting himself or breaking a tooth.

Many times during this stage Bull Terriers are susceptible to self inflicted injury. It isn't uncommon to see a young Bullie in a cast because he or she was simply playing too hard without enough sense to tone it down a little.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com