Skip to content

Discoloration on nails/ flea allergy bumps

Hi everyone,

I have 2 questions for the forum this morning.  Gator has developed a brownish discoloration at the base of his nails.  Its more predominant on his front paws.  He doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, and is not biting a lot (he does a little bit) and his paws look normal besides the nails.  I've included a pic and was wondering if anybody might have some info on this.

My next question is that he loves to go to the dog park and run around the park by our house but whenever we take him he quickly develops bumps on his sides. I'm not too sure what to do to keep him from getting this reaction, besides keeping him on the sidewalk. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help
IMG_20140520_073219.jpg
2448 x 3264 - 2M
IMG_20140516_164135.jpg
2448 x 3264 - 2M
IMG_20140504_175324.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 2M

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Oddly, someone else recently brought up the same exact issue with nails for a couple weeks ago on the forum. What you're seeing is actually yeast buildup. It doesn't effect the dog at all and is near impossible to avoid no matter what food and nutrition your EBT is provided. A few of mine have nails that look identical to the ones on your dog. I've noticed though that my youngest EBT (Nitress) has great looking nails. However, I'm almost convinced it's because she's been on NuVet since she was 8 weeks old. It could be just the thing that helped strengthen her immune system to prevent yeast from showing in the nails or it could be she's just lucky for now anyway. I'll tell you something though, your EBT looks very healthy and I wouldn't worry about the dark color you're noticing at the root of his nails. Many others on this Forum will tell you their EBT has nails the same way. What you don't want to see is yeast infections on the paws or in between the toes which can irritate your dog and cause some foul smelling feet.
    There's so many things that can be causing those bumps that it would be very difficult to pin point without knowing everything about your EBT. Some break out like that from something as simple as an allergic reaction one or two flea bites. Others may break out on a hot day when their pores gain more natural oil. Pollens, grass, and other natural elements can also cause some form of allergic reaction.
    What I would suggest is to provide him with a supplement to help boost and maintain a strong immune system which will help counter allergic reactions that would normally never surface with a strong immune system. You don't need to use NuVet either. There are many good supplements on the market that help with strengthening a dogs immune system and there are several other benefits other than helping the immune system that these supplements provide. Here's a good article: http://www.bulliesofnc.com/BTforum/discussion/1818/bull-terrier-immunity-problems#Item_6

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Great thanks for the info.  We have discussed doggy vitamins for him, he is eating totw and grizzly oil everyday, and seems like a typical rowdy boy. I think I'll pick up some extra immune boosting supplements and see if that helps.