Skip to content

Dangerous toy!

I feel terrible! We all know about the dangers of buying anything for our babies from China, and somehow I just missed this one. I purchased a Mammoth TireBiter chew bone for Murphy from Petco this weekend, and just didn't notice the "Made in China" small print on the back of the card. She was so excited for a new chew and immediately tore into it. As you can see from the picture, this toy, though made for "vigorous chewers" was anything but, and she ingested a few crumbles from the end.She has been frighteningly ill ever since--vomiting to the point where she couldn't keep even water down, and diarrhea. Poor thing! I couldn't figure out what was the cause, 'til I remembered the new toy and Googled it. OMG--tons of posts about how dangerous it is, and I feel like such a bad mom!
Please learn from my mistake. I'm warning everyone to carefully read every bit of every label of products for your dog, and I will go to Petco this afternoon and inquire as to why this is still on their shelves.

P.S. After a day of bland diet and sitting up all night holding Smurfy, she seems better today. I shudder to think what might have happened if I hadn't taken that bone away when I did.
bone.jpg
960 x 720 - 174K
bone.jpg 174.2K

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I hope Murphy is feeling better now. Poor Girl.
    I think all chew toys should have a disclaimer on them saying "NOT Bull Terrier Proof" because there is none on the market that a EBT can't chew to pieces and if they can chew them up they will swallow the pieces.
    I think the only things that are safe are things that are meant to be chewed and digested. I stick to raw bones and antlers.

Big hugs for Murphy.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yes, she certainly does destroy her toys, but never has ingesting even a tiny bit made her sick like this. Clearly there is a chemical element to this particular toy that is toxic. We had a Bionic Brick toy that was good for a long time and she loved it (see discussion Toys for Bully Puppies a while back), and even when shredding it just a bit, she just pooped out the tiny pieces, no harm done, and I just took it away as it started to get compromised. I think you suggested at that time the K9 Ballistic Jelly Bean, which I now have even more motivation to order.
    Murphy does great with her antlers and raw beef bones and we can still tug with a good rope from time to time. But I just wanted to give her a little variety as she wants to play constantly and there's only so much Frisbee chasing I can take. 
  • How scary! I am glad she is alright.

This is why I  NEVER keep toys in crates where i cant see what is happening.
    Also why I keep a bottle of Peroxide on hand!
    Peroxide has saved my dogs lives on more then a few occassions!

I have made them puke up Wall Putty, a large chunk of plastic from one of my nephew's toys, rocks, a peach pit, collar hardware, plastic baggies, etc.

pick up a bottle of peroxide to keep and the next time she eats some thing she isnt supposed to, you can give her a couple teaspoons of peroxide with some water to make her vomit.
  • Good advice, there have been plenty of occasions when Murphy has consumed a non-food item. Usually I have been pretty quick to remove the item from her reach, but have had all kinds of "treasures" show up in the poop.  But in this instance, she ingested only miniscule bits of the toy and it took very little time for whatever toxins were present to do harm, and she began vomiting in very short order. I think it wasn't so much that it was a foreign matter/non-food as it was outright poisonous.