Skip to content

Toys for bully puppies

edited March 2014 in General
Does anyone have some good suggestions for toys I could get for my 9-month-old Murphy? She is a vigorous chewer and still in the curious puppy stage, but nearly everything I try is destroyed in mere minutes. The only thing I have had any luck with is big beef bones, antlers and a Kong that she does not find so amusing. Even the "indestructable" toys recommended by the PetCo folks like those made out of firehose material are destroyed in record time. Squeaky toys lose their squeak in 20 seconds, stuffed toys are eviscerated in 2 minutes, Dentabones shredded, tennis balls (even the Kong brand) are skinned. Help?

Comments

• Rodney is 14-months-old, but still wanting and enjoying his chew toys.  He likes toys that bounce.  We found a small ball, maybe 4-6 inches at PetSmart that is a Toys-R-Us pet toy.  It has a hole for treats, but we've never put a treat in it because he enjoys it so much.  Within a day or two, there were holes he had chewed into it.  It's a very thick rubber/plastic.  It gives his chewing a good workout.  He loves when we throw it, but he also will knock it around and throw it up himself, too.  He is never left alone with it.  I'd never let him play with it without constant supervision.

A bigger Nylabone that is made for serious chewers is getting rather shredded on the ends.  He really likes it and has had it for a couple of weeks.  He really likes the hard chewing.
  • edited March 2014
    This is a picture of him with the ball that he LOVES.  It's the ball from PetSmart that I wrote about in the above comment.  We went back and got him a second one in red, he loves it so much.  You can see lots of punctures, and there's a few big gashes, so we never let him play with it unless we are right there watching him. 
    rodney 15.jpg
    1927 x 1244 - 327K
  • Mbgood, go to petsmart and ask the employee to show you the "durachew" toys made by nylabone. They are super strong and has been the only chew toys that's lasted. We've even eaten through a kong, though the Kong ball has been another lifesaver!
  • Thanks, all! I hate to spend ten bucks on a toy that becomes dangerous in five minutes. Here are two that have been reasonably successful, though the rope will be shredded and swallowed if not supervised. On a positive note, she has good teeth!image
    image.jpg
    960 x 720 - 264K
  • She's beautiful!  What brand is that?  She looks like she's content with it.  I probably wasn't clear about the Toys-R-Us toy, but what I meant to say is that despite him chewing on the ball, it's still held up two weeks later.  Only two toys have been left standing, the ball and the Nylabone.  We were surprised that the ball still looked like a ball the way he's been chewing on it.  Seems like I recall people having success with a brand, I think it is Jolly ball--maybe someone can clarify if that's the correct name of the company and what their thoughts are on it.  We're looking for some new toys, too.

• The orange thing is called a Bionic Brick, I think. Got it at PetCo. It has already lasted a few weeks and not too crumbly yet, but we only let her have it for shorter increments. The rope used to be a third bigger than it is now, but she gnaws bits off of it. So she can't have that one when she isn't being watched. I also found that jamming an elk antler down into her Kong is something she likes. I just need to expand the repertoire as we have to keep rotating the toys for her chewing pleasure.
  • Quinn isn't much of a heavy chewer, so my suggestions of things that have lasted for her probably wouldn't last for your dog. I've never bought her Nylabones though because in my experience with them at kennels they would breakdown easily and turn into sharp weapons.

One suggestion is to buy things that are extra large, that way your dog can't get a good bite on them. Bit of a gamble though because your dog will either be super determined or lose interest in like 5 minutes.

I have Jolly Balls for Quinn. Unfortunately, she's the latter of the two mentioned above and lost interest in her Jolly Balls. They are made of hard plastic and when we used them in daycare at the old kennels I used to work at, some dogs really loved them and would play with them for the entire play group. Most damage I've seen to one is just gouges from teeth, no breaks or cracks. They definitely last, but they are outside toys in my opinion. At least the really big ones.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Two Best Chew Toys that I have found for Bull Terriers are:

1. Solid Kong Ball

2. K9 Ballistic Jelly Bean

Don't be fooled though, there is No Such Thing as a chew proof ball or toy. There are some dogs that can destroy anything. However, these two toys rank as my top choices for longevity.

Extreme Kong Ball.jpg
    260 x 260 - 9K
    Jelly Beans 01.jpg
    816 x 459 - 78K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I think I have one of those "destroy anything" pups--including her travel kennel!

Steve, is that K9 Ballistic Jelly Bean hollow, to put treats in?

Such a great source of shared information--thank you everyone!

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com