Skip to content

Open to Questions or Concerns in Regard to Breeding, Litter Birth, etc.

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC

We don't claim to be experts when it comes to breeding and whelping litters. However, over the years we have had several gorgeous and healthy litters and conducted thorough research on proper procedures on this subject matter. In many cases experience holds a lot of weight compared to what's written on websites and what a veterinarian may tell you. I'm in no way shape or form condemning the advice of a board certified veterinarian but truth be told, many vets do not breed nor do they have an abundance of experience with it let alone the bull terrier breed itself.

If I could go back in time to our first few litters I can guarantee we'd be doing things different based on what we know now. Like anything else, becoming proficient in something takes knowledge and experience.

Many new Bull Terrier breeders have already discovered the difficulties and hardships involved in breeding Bull Terriers. It is without a doubt a time consuming commitment that many cannot handle. There's a lot more involved when it comes to breeding than putting a male together with a female in hopes of a getting the female pregnant and there's many key concerns when whelping a litter of puppies. On average I notice roughly 80-90 percent of every Bull Terrier litter born being advertised by the breeder after the puppies are 4 weeks of age. Much of that reason stems behind the lack of confidence that all puppies will be healthy and survive and do not wish for a puppy to be sold the day after it was born only to explain to someone a week later that the puppy died due to the mother killing it either by accident or deliberately. Yes, I know, this could happen regardless of how well the litter is looked after and taken care of but these occasions should be a rarity seldom seen or experienced.

In the event you have any questions or concerns in regard to any breeding or litter subject please don't hesitate to ask.

- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• On dogbreedinfo.com they have many really good articles on whelping, breeding, labor and much much more, its worth reading the them and seeing what others experienced in an attempt to gain future information.
  • Ok general question, how many litters on average would a female whelp for a RESPONSIBLE BREEDER ?
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC

That question is going to be answered differently by every breeder. Most breeders will say 3 or 4. However, the correct answer depends on many variables such as:

• The health of the breeding female
    • Quantity of puppies born from each litter
    • How well the female took care of her litter
    • Complications during and after birth
    • The age of the female

Yes, I've heard and seen several occasions where a breeder bred the same female 6,7, and even 8 times. I'm not saying it's not possible but my oppinion is that a female giving birth that many times creates a health concern for her. Personally I feel no dog should be bred that many times. My feelings are that 3 litters over a 6 year period of time is enough for any female. I don't beleive in breeding a female over 7 years of age either. Again, my opinion will probably vary from others because I care deeply about the health and welfare of the females I breed and only want whats best for them.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • At what age a female can be breed for first time?

The correct answer (according to AKC) to your question is 8 months old for a female and 7 months old for a male during the time of mating. However, AKC also explains that a female shouldn't be bred during her first estrus cycle. 

Regardless what the minimal age of the female is to register a litter I do NOT recommend breeding a female this early. Most breeders wait until at least the second heat cycle. However, I recommend waiting until the third cycle so the female is fully matured both physically and mentally. This is usually around 2 years of age. A lot depends on the maturity and health of the particular female as well. Some Bull Terriers are still pretty hyper and high strung during their 3rd heat cycle which wouldn't be wise to assume she'll do good with a litter of puppies. Many Bull Terriers aren't good mothers regardless how old they are.  

AKC dictates both Male and Female dogs can be bred up to the age of 12. Again, I disagree with this as well. I wouldn't breed a female any older than 7 or 8 depending on their health and physical condition.

Again for registration purposes through AKC it's:

7 months for males 

8 months for females   (Not Recommended)

no older than 12 years for both males and females.  (Not Recommended after 7 or 8)

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited August 2012
  • Dave1982Dave1982 California
    My bull terrier just had her litter 2 days ago, shes doing fine for most part. Yesterday, I heard her growl and nip at one of the pups while feeding. Shes done it a few times all the pups continue to eat fine, just not sure why she does that, she doesnt seem to hurt the pup when I witnessed her do it seemed like she bit down just enough to scold I guess the pup and nudge away from feeding at that time. Is this common? Not sure if maybe she just cant handle the full litter at once on her or was also thinking maybe she was doing it to give another pup a chance to feed. Any help greatly appreciated
    It isn't rare to hear about a Bull Terrier Dam that really isn't a very good momma. Sadly, there are quite a few Bull Terrier litters that require being hand raised due to the degree of stress from the dam which can quickly become a safety risk for the puppies. A good momma would not be bothered at all by a puppy nursing on her.
    Yes, I would be concerned if your Dam is nipping or getting upset with the pups. It only takes one snap to due permanent damage to a pup. Over the years I've had quite a few new breeders call me frantically looking for advice after their Bull Terrier ate one of her puppies due to stress. I've also heard heart breaking stories of people losing the whole litter due to the dam killing all her pups.
    So many things can impact the degree of stress a dam can be experiencing during and after labor. Even an inappropriate whelping box can cause a lot of stress.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com