Skip to content

training tips please

What is the best way to teach my Bully to stay? He will sit and lie down but just cant get him to stay. He is 8 months old and just gets so excited about food he will not focus on me or what I am trying to teach him. I have him in obedience class which is 1 hr long but he is ready to go after 20 minutes and just wants to play with the other dogs. Thanks

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    It's best to start the process of teaching his to "Stay" in doors with less distractions and at short distances. Treats are most often the best tool to teach a dog tricks and commands. First get him to sit, show him the treat, and keep saying stay while you're backing up. If he "Stays" after you've backed up about 6 feet provide him the treat with praise. If he lurches forward tell him "No" and start over. In due time he'll learning the meaning of "Stay."  Practice, Practice, Practice.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I find that training is best when they have just eaten and are relaxed. if you have an established daily routine he will look forward to the training. Also use one word commands(the less you say the better) and hand gestures. Michelle
  • Clicker training stay has been my favorite way or teaching dogs to Stay.
    It helps to work at home, alone at the same time everyday for only a few minutes
    and to work AFTER exercising (when he is feeling calm)

• I used the prong collar to help teach stay. I had him sit at my left side looking at me. Holding the leash in my left hand and I say stay and hold up my right hand for a hand command stay as well and just step in front of him, facing him and keep saying stay and if he moves keep him still with the prong, then after a second or two move back the standing next to him an release him with 'ok' and treat. It's kinda hard to explain in typing but over a weeks time he learned stay and does it well.

I believe a release word is extremely important because how else will they know they can move! Lol start small and then increase time. But change of the stay time too like one time do it for 2 secs then 7 then 3. Something like that.
  • Quinn is very food motivated, so I taught her a "wait" command. She would have to sit and "wait" for me to put down her food, and she would have to stay "waiting" until I told her "okay." Once she mastered that, I also used it at entrances and exits (to houses and dog parks) or used it on walks so she would wait for me before crossing the street. Unfortunately I still haven't mastered the stay with her as far as being outside and her not following me... But I guess you have to start somewhere small and go from there.
  • Only use his name when you expect an action, so don't use his name during 'stay'.  I start with 'sit' right beside me.  I step in front of the dog, facing him.  Then say 'stay', holding your hand up palm front to him.  As the dog learns to 'stay' longer, I gradually take steps backwards continueing to hold my hand palm up.  If he moves a muscle, I then say 'stay' again.  Gradually you will be several feet away and you can also work on how long you expect him to stay.  (Up to 30 minutes)