Skip to content

Messed up bite

I was told not to play tug of war or allow my pup to play with pull toys cause it will mess up his bite. Is this correct? I've never heard if such a thing!

Comments

• My dog trainer said it's ok it you engage the game, to never grab what's in their mouth but say drop and hold it then play. And when they're puppies it's ok if you hold and they pull but don't pull back. To jut let the puppy do the tugging and it shouldn't bother his bite.
    Again, this is his trainers opinion but I've seen NO ill effects from her advice. I believe the games where we can both play are great!
  • I was just caught off guard when they told me that. It's not like I tug the crap out of the toy, but I do allow him to play tug of war with Cookie and they play like any other BT plays, rough.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    You could snap a tooth or even pull one out with harsh and rough tug of war but you couldn't mess up their bite. I think we all have allowed some sort of tug of war fun with our Bullies and I have yet to see one develop a messed up bite because of it. You'd have to dislocate their jaw or loosen up their teeth so much that they darn near fell out but instead ended up bent or crooked. Damn near impossible. Most dogs are rougher on their teeth while chewing up a bone.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I think they would dislocate my arm before I was ever even close to dislocating their jaw! I don't play rough tug of war, but the person who told me made it sound like if any type of tug play would mess up their bite. I just stood there and scratched my head.
  • My wife wanted to strangle a vet at our office.  She was new and could not find our records of vaccinations for Karamel after her last litter.  Asked if we ever had her seen at the office.  The vet can never kiss up enough to ever see our kids again.  My wife still gives her the stink eye and never makes an apointment with her.

But never heard of tug a war being bad for their bite.  They way they tear through bones would do more.

Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC