Skip to content

Student diversity day....

edited November 2013 in General
Ok bullie family members Eli has a student diversity day where I go in and share info on our family, culture, traditions ect. So I first thought of of course Ems since most know I'm an EMT and I thought of taking the rescue truck up and showing the kids the lights and sirens and letting them listen to their hearbeat with my scope, teach them when and when not to call 911......fun for a pre schooler right......but then I thought wait a minute I  could take this oppertunity to teach them about Bull Terriers and educate them on this wonderful Breed. But how do I do this and not cause contraversy?? His teacher gave the green light to beable to take Cleo in his class and let th err kids see her and I thought of making puppy chow chex mix for a snack!!! Need ideas on how to not call out the ignorant parents who think that pit bulls ( yup what the uneducated tbink they are) are the devil. Any ideas anyone?????????
Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.

Comments

• What about maybe like a bandana or tutu to make her ' look' friendlier to others? It helps with Stoeger and kids who are scared of dogs? Just an idea. She's white isn't she? What about that picture that's going around with the dog ebt and the kid who is coloring on it? Maybe you could 'color' on her while demonstrating something? It could show how friendly and how funny she can be?
  • I do have a bandana that says hi my name is... from the Olympics last yr........ although she is very calm and friendly this might stress her a little because of the volume of kids and I don't want any of them close enough to maul her as some kidscan be evil:( I don't want any issues at all or I've defeted my purpose. And what kinds of things should I or should I not bring up to educate......if I bring up history they were used as bull baitors that's awsome to tell a preschooler uggg.....ya:/
  • I could use that pic on the posterboard though....keep em coming stogesmom!!!!
  • That's a good point! Maybe you could draw on her instead? Do you want to do ems info too or just history on the bull terrier or tri to tie both in together?
  • Both would be fun but their little so attention spans are gonna be short. Also Cleo hates loud and it would be difficult to do both as I won't have anyone to help handle her. If I do history I don't know how not to make it sound awful. Other than just their genetic makeup. I also don't want these kids to go home and hug the first dog they see and have the neighborhood dog eat a kid because I made them believe dogs are good:( maybe just the basics on how to care for a dog????
  • Our sons' school had a week devoted to one student at a time in the class when they were in lower school.  During that week, a parent would read a story, another day bring pizza or something, and usually one day the pet would come for a 10 or 15 minute session. 

We brought my parents' Akita one year because it was only a couple of months old and looked like a mini bear.  Another year, we brought my younger son's Corgi puppy.  Looking back, the kids do go wild wanting to rush up to the animal.  We could have never brought the Akita as an adult, not even five kids would have been a good idea for that individual dog.  Our Corgi was so gentle and docile, it could have handled a hundred kids screaming at once and kept licking faces for hours. 

After seeing it many, many times over several years with two kids at the school, my two cents would be that it really depends on your individual dog.  Personally, for me, my concern would be how my dog would react to new, and possibly loud because they're so excited, groups of little people rushing up.  If your dog is used to lots of neighborhood kids or kids coming over for play dates, that would probably give you an idea how it would go.  Like Halloween, for instance, when lots of different kids are around.

I love the idea of teaching them how to take care of a dog.  Having two sons, playing with an ambulance up close would have made their day.  Is it possible they'll let you come back another day so that you can bring the dog one day and a special day to teach them about the right time to call 911, what happens when someone is sick and needs to go in an ambulance, etc? 
  • I'm not worried at all over Cleo she's 3 and handles all with a grain of salt but the sirens I wouldn't want her that close to because their loud and that may bug her ears. I only get up to an hr. And only once. I would never take my male in their as he has a much less tolerance level to high enery situations. Mmmmmm what to do.......
  • You do have a tough choice!  It sounds like Cleo would be a big hit and have as much fun as the kids.  The ambulance would be as cool as can be, too.  That's not fair to only have one day when you could fill two days with fun.  :)