Skip to content

MCT in young bull terrier

Hey guys, I just got some shocking news that Kimba's brother, Nikko- one of the 4 puppies of our 1st and only bully litter, has just had a large, fast growing mastocytoma removed from his paw. Mind you, he is only around 1yr/7mo old! We are still waiting on results to see if it is benign or malignant and what grade it is. As far as his health- he is a real active boy, neutered, but has a very sensitive tummy/allergies.

How rare is this condition in younger bull terriers? As far as I know this isn't something that is known to happen on either side of the family tree. As the person who whelped and sold this pup I just don't know what to think or do, other than being supportive of Nikko's family as they go through this.  

The pic of the tumor is before it got big according to Nikko's mom :'(

tumor.jpg
247 x 311 - 12K

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Although Mast Cell Tumors are rare within the EBT breed they can still be threat. They aren't very common and the cause of these tumors is unknown. Some might believe them to be genetic but there is no documented proof on it. Cancer itself remains a mystery in regard to the underlining cause.
    Usually MCT's are found on older dogs. The one you mention is very young which is very rare. I can't see the owners of this puppy holding you responsible for an ailment which isn't necessary a genetic fault. It could occur with any breed regardless of health and bloodlines just as any form of cancer can.
    I'm sure now that they have removed it from his paw he will have no ill effects. There's many other forms of cancer which would have been far more of a concern. I'm confident the owners of Nikko understand that no dog can be 100% guaranteed against natural ailments that can develop over time just as no human being can ensure their own health will remain free from diseases like cancer. It's a misfortune that Nikko developed a tumor but his misfortune shouldn't create a high concern that other puppies are going to develop a tumor at a higher probability than any other Bull Terrier. I'm sure Nikko's owner asked their Vet what the cause was from and the Vet explained that the cause for MCT and other cancerous growths is "unknown."

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you for the info Steve! Its just nerve-wracking and upsetting to hear one of our pups is having issues!   ~X(