Skip to content

Parvo and other infectious diseases

Just wondering what age did you guys take your bullies out for walks or trips outside to use the bathroom prior to receiving him/her? Or do you wait until the puppy has all shots ? Since puppies immune systems are not fully developed. In my area Parvo and other diseases are high

Comments

• We would let Stoeger play in our yard and go to his dads carlot but didn't let him go to places where dogs pooped or whatnot until after all his shots were received. It was hard for me because I wanted to socialize him but I wanted him healthy even more. I let him play with kids and humans but not get nose to nose with dogs or smell their droppings.
  • I also waited for my dogs shots to be completed, I didn't even want to take a small chance with any of them.
  • My vet told me today, while I was getting stoge microchipped, about an outbreak of parvo in Amsterdam ny. She said just to watch out for running poo droppings and not to let the dog sniff or go near. He has his shots but I reckon one can never be too careful.
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    I brought Trayler to my daughters house to play with her two dogs but no where else until he receives his final shots in a week when he's 16 weeks old.
  • I refused to take Apollo anywhere besides my yard and Steve's until 2 weeks after his last set of shots. Our county has one of the highest (if not the highest) rates of parvo in the state. I get freaked the heck out because of what happened to my female GSD. The vet said she ate something that cause her pancreas to shut down. My neighbor on the other side of me has about 5 house dogs they let run around the neighborhood and I can't even tell you how many grotesquely malnourished hunting dogs too. I'm not saying it was them, but you can't tell me those dogs go to the vet. My theory is one pooed in the yard and she ate it. If I lost Apollo to the same fate I would loose my mind.
  • edited November 2013
    @apollosmama you should see me now. I'm cleaning every inch of my house including my yard and backyard. I don't want any accidents and I will be keeping an eye on him every chance I get!!!
  • AtibaCooper24 getting his puppy-proofing on!
  • Everyone will have their differences but its never bad to be too careful. I had Spud socialized at 10 weeks as he had one set of shots from his class socials and Saturday puppy socials. This until about 4 months and his last set then we were off to the dog park and such.

Your area will vary as well but keep the pup in for a while if its unsafe and just be patient until they can get out. You're going to be so anxious to but its worth the wait.
    So Trayler received his Rabies shot today.  Being that we'll be camping next weekend, the Vet recommended that he get the kennel cough nasal spray as a preventative.  Unsure if it's really necessary but to play it safe, I had her administrate the spray.

• If he plays with other dogs, or around them, then the spray is a good idea.
    Wow, after that Rabies shot, Trayler sleep most of the afternoon and all thru the night.
    Now his up and so full of energy.  I gotta get him outside and run him :>.