Skip to content

Bull Terrier Weight pulling

I would love for my boy to pull some weight to burn off his energy. What age do most start their EBT pulling weight and is there a group, club, or association to get involved with for EBT owners that are into weight pulling?

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Weight pulling competition seems to be getting more and more popular. That's something I have never done but I'm noticing the Bull Terrier breed is now becoming more populated in these events. There's a few people on Facebook posting photos of their Bullies competing. I'm sure there's a lot of information that can be found from doing a couple google searches as well.

Weight Pull 01.jpg
    960 x 720 - 79K
    Weight Pull 02.jpg
    648 x 486 - 100K
    Weight Pull 03.jpg
    800 x 530 - 138K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I'd be interested in more info on pulling for exercise too.

I would never have Stoeger compete but I like the idea of him pulling a tire around to stay in shape.

A spring-pole is in his future too. But I'll be waiting on both until his joints strengthen and adult teeth are all in.

• I just purchased a weight pull harness and am waiting on the sled I ordered online for Cookie. I have had no luck in finding competitions here in the Bay Area, but still plan on having her pull for fun, even if it's only in my backyard.
  • edited October 2013
    Is there a point to strapping your bullie to 500 - 1000 lbs. and have them strain to pull it? Other than some sort of vicarious thrill and some back slapping from your friends? Exercise I can see. Tugging a car or truck tire. But competition? Sorry...I see no redeeming value in that whatsoever.

The bullie in the third picture strapped to half a ton? Look at his face...he is obviously stressed way beyond his limits.
    Pulling is great exercise for Bull Terriers who love any activity providing a challenge as well as fun.
    Nitro - Tire Pull 1.jpg
    960 x 335 - 99K
    Nitro - Tire Pull 2.jpg
    960 x 329 - 89K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I agree...but strapping half a ton on one for kicks n giggles....no way
  • I see nothing wrong with it I would think it would be good for genetics for that that bloodline
  • edited October 2013
    Sorry...I see no link between genetics and having a bullie tug half a ton. Genetics are fixed...static. There is no benefit from a hereditary standpoint by such activity.
  • I agree, I like the exercise aspect, but no competitions. I think a lot of weight could hurt them right? I watched videos and couldn't believe how much weight was being pulled.
  • I have no problem because most of the dog's that I see do it look like there and really good shape compare to the fat show dogs you see in the ring with no muscle tone I find this sport bring out the EBT muscle and his drive as a bullie with is power

• Brutus enjoys pulling his tire sometimes giving my son a sled ride for the exercise but I to think people take it to far. I wouldn't put my dog at risk for my own selfish pleasure.
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
    Well, I'll just say I'm not into the weight pulling but see nothing wrong with it if it's something that benefits the dog in regard to health. I guess I just like seeing any form of attention provided to a dog where they are outside and getting activity and attention.
    As far as fat show dogs, you won't see many of those at AKC shows. Most of the people competing in conformation shows are well versed in providing physical activity for their dog so they have the best possible physical appearance as possible. However, show dogs aren't judged solely on their appearance as they are on their temperament, character, walk, etc.
    Put a raw steak in front of a dog while harnessed to cement blocks on wheels and they'll pull without any training. How well they do is another story and obviously those that do well have plenty of practice and endurance.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Idk if this is from weight pulling but if so thats awsome... found this pic online
    2013-09-19-21-14-02-1.png
    545 x 645 - 538K