Skip to content

Bull Terrier Pedigree Research

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
edited October 2013 in General
I don't know if many of you are like and enjoy researching Bull Terrier bloodlines and pedigrees. Years ago it was difficult to view a 4 generation pedigree and have familiarity with certain bloodlines unless the kennel affiliated name was being heard at shows or their reputation was well known. Obviously reputation and popularity varied from country to country since many bloodlines outside an individuals own country most likely were never heard of. In reality if you were looking for a puppy you'd probably be thumbing through the adds in the back of Dog Fancy magazine or looking for adds in your local paper.
The internet has changed life completely and provided people with boundless research potential on any subject. Now a days many owners of all breeds are uploading their dogs pedigree information on popular websites that retain information on every dog that has been registered to their pedigree database. Some of them are extremely impressive as they depict an array of information to include photos, titles, awards, offspring, siblings, inbreeding, country of origin, height and weights, color, date of birth, etc. Another nice feature is the databases aren't limited to 3,4, or 5 generations. They will go back as far as possible provided data is documented. I can just imagine what it will be like looking at pedigrees in 20 years when people will be saying "Here's a look at my dogs 10 generation Pedigree."
My personal preference in regard to Pedigree databases is the Standard Bull Terrier World Pedigree DataBase. Many of the bloodlines that initiated our foundation came from England and this particular Pedigree Database holds a large volume of information on bloodlines from the UK. One of our females, "Bannon" (now retired), came from Penbray's in England and  when I entered Bannon's information into the database it automatically entered her entire pedigree which provided me with photos and info of her ancestors. It's apparent other countries have been using this database for quite a few years due to the documentation that goes back many generations. With our Stud "Nitro" all I did was enter his registration name in order to make a new entry and when I entered his sire and dam his entire pedigree came up going back 9 generations to include photos of the dogs. "Lucian" has champion bloodlines that go back to Canada, Hungary, and Germany and it was nice to be able to see photo's of these Bull Terriers that I couldn't find anywhere else.
The database allows you to conduct updates by adding photos and information. I noticed Lionhearts bloodlines weren't documented when I went to enter "Buck's" information into the database so I ended up gathering what photos and information I had in order to make a more complete pedigree. Now that I have done so, all offspring sired by Buck, like "Rocky" or "Sooner", becomes a breeze to update into the database and automatically generate an accurate pedigree filled with photos and info.
I encourage you to try it out. The database is user friendly and if your Bullie comes from reputable bloodlines you'll most likely find a plethora of pedigree data already on his or her ancestors.

- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments