Skip to content

Vacations

edited September 2013 in General
Would love to take a family trip next year, probably to a beach. How do your Bullies travel? Where have you found is best to take them?

Comments

• Bullies love the beach!  I take turns with my bullies.  Taking one at a time out to places where dogs are allowed.  This way they get used to traveling and love it.  Plus, it helps socialize them with people and other dogs.  We have always taken our dogs with us on vacation.  Last year we took them to Yosemite.  They loved the Merced River.  We camped right next to it.  If you take your dog out with you in the car, they are less apt to get car sick. :x
  • I would like to emphasize what Diane said. This also builds trust. When you guide a dog as a pack leader they will look to you as a trustful and commanding leader which means easier training. I do a lot of hikes with Spud in our area and plan on doing more including camping. Fit them in your schedule as much as you can.
  • We haven't vacationed with our pup yet but he loves traveling in our truck or in any of the various cars I drive off my car lot.

He travels very well to an auto auction I frequent 2.5 hours away.

Pretty much everyday he goes for a car ride somewhere...

We plan to do some hiking and other outdoor adventures with Stoeger. He walks well on leash but after a short distance turns into a Bullie-Anchor. Not wanting to walk any further from our home. When we change direction to head home, he picks up the pace and double-times it back home.

That wouldn't be much fun on a hiking trail... Maybe he would be better on a trail, off-leash or on a long rope?

He's awesome around our unfenced two acre property off-leash. After he gets his last booster, we're gonna try going to a dog park. Unfortunately, we have one less in our area to visit after a dog owner recently discovered rat poison at one locally. Just the day prior Stoges_mom mentioned wanting to visit that park!
  • My girl continuously stops and stares into space, on one route she just lays down on the pavement or the street and refuses to budge. In other areas when I take her of the leash she will continue walking longer distances without any problems. I think she does not like the leash very much.

One Bully is just not enough
  • Spud and I did his first hike, 8 miles up to 4,000 feet elevation at 7.5 months. Spud did well and after a long nap 4 hours had energy again at night. He did the same hike again two weeks ago no problem. I want to go to the beach but our warm California weather is going away. I'll have to find more stuff to do with him.
  • Yea Stoeger walks well on leash around our yard but when I try to walk down the road he doesn't want to. He will go to the edge of our property then he stops. I can get him to go maybe twenty yards past but no more. He only did the walk well once or twice but now it's a no go. But as soon as we turn around he runs full blast all the way home. I don't know if he smelt something up there he doesn't like or what.
  • Just time. I was getting frustrated when Spud would become an anchor but I relentlessly tried walking him everyday then all of all of sudden he just got it. It's enjoyable to have him heel by you and it stimulates his mind by having to stay by your side. He doesn't pull anymore to greet strangers but occasionally he will pull if he sees some dogs or small animals.